Help needed from NTSC-VIC-users

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Help needed from NTSC-VIC-users

Post by tokra »

I'm working on a yet super-secret program for the NTSC VIC-20 (which I luckily got from eslapion some weeks ago, thanks!). I have the feeling my VIC is displaying the colors wrong as especially Light Orange looks nothing like it should and Light Red and Light Purple look virtually the same. Can other people using real NTSC-VICs also please post pictures of what Mike's colour-test-program produces? This will greatly help improve the quality of the final product. Thanks a lot!

See picture of my screen:

buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Here's my NTSC VIC on a 1701 monitor. (Crappy cell phone pic).
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Thanks buzbard, some of your colors look *really* strange though. Nobody else from NTSC-land? I know you're out there, don't be shy. The more pictures I get the better the end product will be.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Would me running it here on my Vic-1001 work for you? Might give me an excuse to check that it's still in 100% condition...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Like I said, (Crappy cell phone pic).

I'll try to get my 14MP camera and take another with better lighting.
I think my cell only does 4 or 5 MP.

Edit:
Here is a better pic, using a better camera.
I think the colors were washed out from the lighting in the first pic.
Hope this one helps. The type of camera you use makes all the difference!

Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

My uiec cable broke (I had the older model), so if I can be troubled to hold it to the VIC long enough to test this I'll do it next week.
I can say right now though that I recall similarly peculiar colors with my machines to the extent that pictures I made with MINIPAINT in an emulator look terrible on my real hardware.
I'm very interested to see others' pics as well for this reason.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Mayhem, a VIC-1001 would be fine since it's NTSC as well.

Thanks again, buzbard. This looks pretty similar to my picture where Light Orange, light red and light purple all look pretty close to each other. On a PAL-system those three are clearly distinctable and light orange actually looks like a light orange. If I can see just one or two more NTSC-machine pictures this would allow me to adjust the colour palette of my program and maybe this can also be incorporated into VICE itself.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Okay, if need be, I'll see what I can do...
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone else? Maybe I need to up the ante. Whoever posts a colour test-pic from a real NTSC VIC will get a special preview download link of my program by PM to try out on the real NTSC VIC (+24K required)

buzbard: PM me if interested
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ah crap, completely forgot to transfer the program to a real disk earlier. Maybe tomorrow then...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Every one always tells me that my TV colors are set all wrong (for them, but just fine for me). So, I may not of immediate help. I'll download the color program and try it on my 1702 soon (it is currently out of my possession).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I would really like to know what the problem is with setting up the VIC-20, running the test program, shooting a photo from the screen and uploading it to the 'net so to help tokra with his question. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes in total.

On the other hand, fellows like him spend literally dozens of hours in programming new software or designing new hardware for the VIC-20.

Looks like the principle of diluted responsibility is again at work here ... :roll:
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I've been running on an emulator for about a year or so now when I broke my patch video cable - just bought better soldering tools and etc...I'll see about getting the cable slapped back together and use my cellphone to take a quick pic if that's OK?
:)
Learning all the time... :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

For me, it's getting the tech set up to transfer the program to a real disk. I imagine that will take longer than actually running the test! I hope to do some more transfers next week, so fingers crossed, then.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Mike wrote:I would really like to know what the problem is with setting up the VIC-20, running the test program, shooting a photo from the screen and uploading it to the 'net so to help tokra with his question. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes in total.
I would do it, except my SD drive stopped working so I can't transfer programs to the VIC any more :(
If the program is less than 50 or so lines I'm willing to type it in if you post it here.