1541 Device # change

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

1541 Device # change

Post by Frank »

I've got two perfectly working 1541 drives and I've tried to figure out how to change the drive number on one of them. The manual "USELESS is the only word for it" says that I have to cut one of the jumpers. How can this be done. And out of curiosity will anyone sell a completed 1541 converted to its new number. I know there is a software solution but it seems stupid to waste precious ram loading a program that allows you access both drives. Commodore made good equipment but did such a crappy job on finer details like this. :x
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

You only have to change the device number once, it stays changed until you change it again or power down.

Lee.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Thanks

Post by Frank »

Leeeeee wrote:You only have to change the device number once, it stays changed until you change it again or power down.

Lee.
It just seems like such a pain in the rear though to run the program every time. A proper explanation of how to change the disk drives number physically would have been a better solution over the long run. :D
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Frank, changing the device number on a 1541 drive is pretty easy, but you're right, the 1541 manual doesn't exactly make it very clear on how it's done. You may find these instructions a bit clearer:

http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/funet/c ... switch.txt
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org
ken
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ken »

installing a switch is by far the best idea
but I also like the switchless 8/9 mod
with the switchless mod you mod the drive board and when you turn the drive on with no disk or a non write protected disk the drive is #8 if you power on the drive with a write protected disk or a disk half way in the drive it is device #9