Copying programs from the Vic to PC

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Copying programs from the Vic to PC

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have an old XE cable, but I m almost sure it will not work on my new computer. Is there any other way to get my basic program to the PC so others may play it on the emulators?

I am thinking of using the soundcard to record it from tape, but is there anything I could do after that?

Can anyone do it for me? :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There is a WAV-to-TAP converting program. The TAP can be loaded into an emulator and possibly extracting the program itself.

Maybe you can go into BIOS on your PC and check the parallel port settings - it probably works best if it is "standard" or "SPP". I don't know if the ECP and EPP modes would work, but the X*1541 homepage probably can tell. Unfortunately I haven't built myself a cable yet, so I can't check if it works on my quite new PC. Currently I'm transferring through my Amiga when I need to transfer files, which is a little cumbersome too.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Gah. I really need to get myself to the soldering pen soon. Currently when I compose VIC-20 music, I work in these steps:

1. Raw compose with OctaMED on the Amiga 1200
2. Force a "print to file" onto a PC compatible disk
3. Edit and clean up the print out to assembable macros on the PC
4. Test the finished music in VICE
5. Save the binaries on a PC floppy and transfer back to the Amiga 500
6. Connect the 1541 to the Amiga and transfer the files
7. Load it on the VIC and compare with emulator output

To make it even worse, the Amiga 1200 has a broken parallel port so I have to use two different Amigas, of which the 500 is connected through B/W composite video to my 1084 monitor, which has a somewhat flaky composite in (so I have to be careful not to cause the display to roll around).

The 1084 has two inputs (composite/Y+C and RGB) and is currently shared by four computers. Sometimes I even use the 14" TV to create another display possibility. I should probably look into fixing the monitor to work properly too. Before I had another monitor, a 1802 which took three sources (composite, Y+C and monochrome) but also was flaky. Unfortunately I managed to break the motherboard in half while fiddling around with that one. :cry:
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

RANT: why does almost everyone develop for the VIC using other platforms!? Even tho that sounds cool (very cool)... I am prejudiced by the lack of hands-on Vic composition. (refer to my emulator rant).

:x

I know I am being a brat, but the glory of the vic is typing on those oversized lovely keys.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Because I want to save my VIC for the glorious moments. As late as yesterday I realized some of keys does not respond as well as I wish they did, and the more typing I would do, the less they would respond over time.

(it's almost like asking a car enthusiast why he doesn't take his 1957 Ford Fairlane or whatever to the shop when he has to buy some milk)

Besides, I haven't developed a native editor (yes, I know Fisichella, VIC-Tracker and VIC-duzz-it exists, but I didn't quite like the first two and haven't tried Glenn's editor yet), so cross-developing is a natural for me. I believe even in the 80'ties, those software houses who could afford a real development environment would have one, unlike e.g. Tom Griner who in the beginning entered hex codes by hand from a hand written paper and saved it onto tape before getting a contract with HES.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Tom's my hero!

I digress. Vic keys seem to stick when they haven't been used in a while. I think you have to start your car once in a while or it will die. We all know a car can break down when you don't run the engine enough ;)

I am just giving ya hell. I understand what you mean.

I wonder what cross platform system was used to develop vic software back in the day. Also, I wonder if I can get my old XE cable to work on my new computer. What should I set the printer port to in setup?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

My keys don't stick, they just need to be depressed hard to respond. My old (broken) C64 was even worse, so I was glad to get myself another one a couple of years ago which has a working keyboard.

I guess anything from an original IBM PC to some Unix workstations or even mini computers could be handy, but maybe they did a lot of work on paper and had reasonable on-platform assembler and other tools. I think I read some document about this a while ago, but can't remember where.

I would set the printer port to SPP (standard) mode, although maybe ECP/EPP should be compatible too. Actually I have some interesting, but barely one meter long (I probably need longer) cable at work, which has a 25-pin male DSUB in one end and a 5-pin male DIN in the other. Not quite an IEC compatible setup, since the IEC is 6-pin, but so far I don't know where or what this cable has been used.
Anders Carlsson