Creating a new "Star Trek Enterprise" game for the

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Creating a new "Star Trek Enterprise" game for the

Post by Frank »

For the past couple of days I've been thinking about creating a new game for the Vic 20 based on the TV series Star Trek Enterprise. I was thinking it would be based on the Mirror Darkly episode. I would most likely have to write it in Basic since I'm not all that good with machine language yet. But I was thinking maybe some of you people might have some useful input for me. I'm thinking the Vic might be able to play some of the ENTERPRISE theme. I would love to do this for the fun and benefit of all Vic 20 fans. :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Oh god, not the Enterprise theme!
"It's been a long ti--" BOODOOP BEEDOOP!
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Are you thinking of doing a text adventure game? that would be a very good for a star-treck game, after all star trek is very much about the story line and plots.

However, one down side of text adventure here is that if you base it too much on an episode, people who already known that episode will find it too easy or maybe even boring?

One way would be to keep the characters (friend and foe from star trek), but build your own story line and plots-goals?

Or... you could pretty much keep with the episode story but have a game that could branch off into several alternative endings?
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

LOve the idea of another Star Trek game for the VIC 20. So far the only ones that I've played that have been any good at all are the Star Trek Cartridge (which is pretty good IMO), and 3D Time Trek (which is a star trek inspired game I suppose). The trouble is 3D Time tRek has some nice graphics and sound effects, but there isn't much game included.

I am pretty rubbish at programming, so I can't be any help in that department. What memory configuration were you thinking of? Reckon you may need at least 8K to do it justice.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

16KVIC20 wrote:LOve the idea of another Star Trek game for the VIC 20. So far the only ones that I've played that have been any good at all are the Star Trek Cartridge (which is pretty good IMO), and 3D Time Trek (which is a star trek inspired game I suppose). The trouble is 3D Time tRek has some nice graphics and sound effects, but there isn't much game included.

I am pretty rubbish at programming, so I can't be any help in that department. What memory configuration were you thinking of? Reckon you may need at least 8K to do it justice.
I may get an 8k cartridge or something. But right now I only have some regular Vic 20's. I might do a text adventure but I was originally thinking that I'd use graphics of some kind. No matter what though I definately want to use the Enterprise theme in it.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

Kweepa wrote:Oh god, not the Enterprise theme!
"It's been a long ti--" BOODOOP BEEDOOP!
Ive tried playing part of the FIRST CONTACT theme on the Vic and it actually sounds decent. I may use that for my Star Trek game or maybe make a demo. :)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Frank

I will love to see a new Star Trek based game for vic 20.
I am a huge Star Trek fan :D just looove the old Willam Shatner series (TOS) from the sixties.

[Edit:Spelling]
Last edited by joshuadenmark on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards, Peter.
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ditto. Also, Shatner was testimonial for the wonder computer of the Eighties :D .
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Good idea, can't wait to see what you come up with.
Rob
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I remember a Star Trek game from the late 80s/early 90s which featured original series characters. Each time you went to a specific area the appropriate characters head popped up on screen eg, if you went to science, Spock would pop up. This obviously wasn't for the VIC 20, but I don't know which system it was for, does anybody else? I only ever saw it once, it was being demonstrated in a shop, I thought it was pretty amazing. I don't think it was for Amiga or ST.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

16KVIC20 wrote:I remember a Star Trek game from the late 80s/early 90s [...] I don't think it was for Amiga or ST.
You probably mean 'Star Trek - The Rebel Universe' which first appeared in a version for Atari ST (youtube), but was also released for C64(!) and IBM PC (link).
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Mike wrote:
16KVIC20 wrote:I remember a Star Trek game from the late 80s/early 90s [...] I don't think it was for Amiga or ST.
You probably mean 'Star Trek - The Rebel Universe' which first appeared in a version for Atari ST (youtube), but was also released for C64(!) and IBM PC (link).
OK, thanks Mike, I'll take a look. Great if there's a C64 version, I'll have to hunt it down for nostalgia.

Well yes, that's definitely the game, so thanks. I remember I use dto have an Amiga Star Trek game (I think it was a public domain game) which featured what sounded like actual samples of the sounds featured in the original series. It was pretty good, but I remember it had bugs.

Having seen screen shots from the C64 version of rebel universe it must have been the ST or dos version that I saw.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

16KVIC20 wrote:
Mike wrote:
OK, thanks Mike, I'll take a look. Great if there's a C64 version, I'll have to hunt it down for nostalgia.

Well yes, that's definitely the game, so thanks. I remember I use dto have an Amiga Star Trek game (I think it was a public domain game) which featured what sounded like actual samples of the sounds featured in the original series. It was pretty good, but I remember it had bugs.

Having seen screen shots from the C64 version of rebel universe it must have been the ST or dos version that I saw.
There was also the 25th anniversary game. :)
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Frank wrote:There was also the 25th anniversary game. :)
I have that one for the Amiga 1200/4000.

Remember the walk-through for that game,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It seems like I can't find an original idea. I was working on a Star Trek game a few weeks ago and put it aside when I got too busy with life. :(
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.