Vic Cartridge Problems

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Vic Cartridge Problems

Post by English Invader »

The Vic I've been using for the last couple of years is playing up with two different Mega Carts. As soon as I turn the computer on, the machine automatically selects A World at War and keeps doing that when I press reset. I tried my second MC and had exactly the same problem.

I tried the Vic without anything in the expansion port and was able to run a short type-in program without any problems.

Anyone know what might be causing the problem and if it can be fixed?
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Sounds like you have either a stuck C= (commodore key) or you held the number 6 key once when you booted up.

With the MC inserted try holding the number 0 key then power up, that should reset to the main menu.

You might also try holding the CTRL key on power up, and select "RESET PREFS".
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

I just tried to do those things but the computer just jumps ahead and goes straight to World at War. It's doing exactly the same thing with two different Mega Carts.

Thanks for your help, though.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

There is a 1uf capacitor associated with 555 timer IC (which controls reset timing) within your Vic-20.
This electrolytic capacitor is likely dried out & outside of tolerance.
Replacing it should clear the problem.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Problem solved. It turned out that one of my joystick buttons was jammed and that was what was causing the software to jump ahead of me.

I tried about five different Vics with both MCs and kept getting the same problem and then I pulled the joystick out and everything was fine.

I have to say that I'm greatly relieved because this is my best Vic-20 and is about as good as it gets in terms of both cosmetic appearance and audio/video performance.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.