Messed up screen characters

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Overkill
Vic 20 Newbie

Messed up screen characters

Post by Overkill »

Hi all, I just bought an untested VIC-20 from ebay.
I've plugged it in with a A/V cable so that I don't need the RF box.
First of all I get a black screen and a shushing noise, then after about 15 seconds I get the blue border and lots of garbled random characters, some flashing. :( I've also tried it with a games cartridge, the screen looks different, but it's still messed up.

It's the older VIC-20 with the VIC on the badge in colour and the 2 pin power socket.

It has a 901460-03 soldiered and a 6561E in a socket.

Can anyone help me fix it? :?
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Your vic 20's problems

Post by Frank »

1st is your video cable connecting properly? Check video socket to see that its snug. If this isn't the issue then look into the following.

The way I see it you have a two part problem here. Problem number 1 is you may need to replace your power supply because it may have damaged your Vic chip. If you would have had the 7 pin adapter the problem would have been easier to fix. You could have simply taken an adapter off a 64C. Try finding an adapter of the same type on Ebay or kijiji. Secondly you will need another good Vic chip from another Vic 20. These are not easy to obtain because most Vic's are now starting to have the same problems. If you do get another Vic 20 make sure that you get a newer power supply for it, either from a 64c or from a private manufacturer "available on Ebay". I have repaired a few of these computers and I've gained a little experience. They're simple to fix but getting replacement parts is the hard part. :?
Overkill
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Overkill »

Thanks for the reply, will the newer type VIC-20 have the same VIC chip?
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

Overkill wrote:Thanks for the reply, will the newer type VIC-20 have the same VIC chip?
Yes the chips are the same. :D