XBOX 360 --- everyone must read this!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

XBOX 360 --- everyone must read this!

Post by Jeff-20 »

I don't care about the XBOX at all, but I thought this story was funny.

Some kid claimed to have the new xbox 360. No one believed him because it is not dated to come out for months... maybe a year. He posted pics and later that day begged for the Admins to take it down. His dad works for Microsoft and probably signed a non-disclosure agreement!

Here's the pics in case you are curious. Notice the empty house. I guess his dad just got a new job and moved to Seattle... now his son's bragging will surely get him fired!

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, it was officially announced on May 12th with full specs and some images, so from a layman's perspective I can't see what damage some pictures of a prototype (?) unit can do, more than the risk of someone trying to break into the house and steal it. Sony and the other competitors already know what Microsoft is doing.

If it had not yet been announced.. that had been another story. Officially it should be available in the US by November and Japan by December, but of course we don't know if it gets delayed. It is true that PlayStation 3 is not planned to be released until spring next year, but that's Sony's decision. Both systems seem to use IBM chips, but the PS' general purpose floating point capacity is expected to be at least twice that of 360, according to Wikipedia articles.

PlayStation 3 is planned to be as backwards compatible as possible with both PS2 and PS1. Xbox 360 will through emulation (!) play Xbox games. Imagine if we had an upcoming VIC-40000 game system which was fully VIC-20 compatible.. :)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

that would be hilarious
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

that would be hilarious
Not for the poor guy who has an idiot show off for a son.
Last edited by Tepic on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billlagr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by billlagr »

have a look at the cables and stuff poking out..definately a pre release sample!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

According to Engadget, the Xbox 360 will be launched in the USA on November 22nd, in Europe on December 2nd and Japan on December 10th. That's a remarkably short time frame compared to e.g. Sony's marketing strategy, but I suppose Microsoft wants to prevent illegal side import between similar markets, which may happen anyway if there are region codes to prevent games to work on all units.
Anders Carlsson

idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

How could side imports be illegal?
We're not talking about defence equipment, are we?
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, "disallowed" in the terms of there is an official distributor in each country, and units imported by other means are not covered by that distributor's duties. As far back as in the 80'ties, this was an ongoing issue with grey imported ZX Spectrums (directly from the UK) and to a lesser extent Commodores. On the other hand, regulations for possibly radio interfering equipment was different back then, so it may have been more dubious then than now.
Anders Carlsson