2-Prong Versus DIN Power Supply

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Corsair24x2
Vic 20 Newbie

2-Prong Versus DIN Power Supply

Post by Corsair24x2 »

Hello all! After a bout of nostalgia, I dug out my old VIC-20. I remember why it originally got replaced with a C-64 in the first place - the power supply went bad. I do have a Maxtron replacement PSU, but its the "universal" VIC or C64 replacement.

So, any of you guys made an adaptor from DIN to 2-prong yet?

I could get a PSU on Ebay, or fab one, but I've got a C-128 and a Plus/$ to set up!
-= Corsair24x2 - In 8-Bit Mode! =-
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The DIN type PSU can't deliver the amperes required, so you have to buy a PSU.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Corsair24x2
Vic 20 Newbie

Thanks....

Post by Corsair24x2 »

I found the PSU - buzzes like mad. Looks like a dead vic!
-= Corsair24x2 - In 8-Bit Mode! =-
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Check the fuses, one inside of the Vic-20 and one in the PSU (if there is one):
http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... _hatch.jpg
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: 2-Prong Versus DIN Power Supply

Post by eslapion »

Corsair24x2 wrote:So, any of you guys made an adaptor from DIN to 2-prong yet?
The opposite may be feasible but what you're suggesting doesn't make much sense.

The 2 prong VIC consumes unregulated AC power, the one with the round connector requires regulated DC on top of a VERY SMALL amount of unregulated ac.

The 2 prong VIC's power supply isn't really a power supply its only a small transformer. The real power supply is inside the VIC.

On the VIC with the round DIN connector, the 5Vdc regulator, filter capacitor and all the components that make a real complete power supply is inside the external black box. On the 2 prong VIC, these are all inside the VIC itself.

So what you're suggesting is to make an adaptor that would take the regulated 5V and turn it back into unregulated 9Vac... doesn't make much sense.

Still, this means all you need to replace the external black box of a 2 prong VIC is a good 120V to 9V ac transformer that can provide 2 to 3 amps. That's cheap and it can be very easily obtained.
Be normal.
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

INRE: 2-prong Versus DIN Power Supply

Post by Commander#1 »

Hi, Guys -
Been away for a while - time to jump back into the fray.

Nice discussion on P/S's can be found at Hardware & Tech Forum, pg 4, "Older 2 Pin PSU", Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm.

Hope this helps -

8) Phil Potter 8)
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !