vic screen border color

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

vic screen border color

Post by damnstraight »

Were any vic set to boot up with orange border and white screen? I have one that displays like this, it is an early one #57,###. It works great otherwise and If I poke 36879,27 it displays cyan border with white screen. All games and demos work fine. This seems odd though since all my other vics have cyan and white screen.
I thunk once and it hurt!
Mike
Herr VC

Re: vic screen border color

Post by Mike »

damnstraight wrote:Were any vic set to boot up with orange border and white screen?
Not that I knew about an official variant. Besides, the VIC chip can't display orange as border colour, more probably this is yellow.
I have one that displays like this, it is an early one #57,###. It works great otherwise and If I poke 36879,27
And the value you can peek before is ...?
it displays cyan border with white screen. All games and demos work fine. This seems odd though since all my other vics have cyan and white screen.
You can dump the kernal as follows and make it available here to judge whether there are other differences in the ROM, or just one bit has flipped:

Code: Select all

1 OPEN2,8,2,"KERNAL-DS.PRG,P,W"
2 PRINT#2,CHR$(0)CHR$(224);
3 FORT=57344TO65535:PRINT#2,CHR$(PEEK(T));:NEXT
4 CLOSE2
Greetings,

Michael
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want to know the original PEEK of 36879.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by damnstraight »

I will check out 36879, never thought of checking value at boot. I will post back, I need unpack it again. If it is different I will dump rom. thanks
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by damnstraight »

As it turns out, I am more screwed up than the vic, hahha.. It was awhile since I checked that computer and actually the vic is green border with white screen. I checked location 36879 and it was indeed 27. I must have been doing some other things at the time also. So it appears that it is the video circuit or the vic. But, since it works great otherwise, I am just going to leave it for now as this one just sits in box mostly(it looks like new). Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep my info more current next time. (I could swear that thing was orange last time I looked). :lol:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I had a VIC that took time to warm up and the colors appeared to change after a few minutes (at least to me), but I never found out what colors they were.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever heard of the color "cyan" outside of the VIC.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Most probably you find it with the CMYK (cyan-magenta-yellow-key, key := black) colour (;)) model for printers.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I thought the early IBM pc had it as well Cyan, magenta and white as color choices. CGA I think.
Rob
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Just about all the early colour computers used cyan.
I think it was to get us used to detecting cyanide poisoning from bad capacitors.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Cyan is such a friendly color, like the computer. I think X has a color code of "SeaGreen" to describe cyan.

Of all C= models, I liked VIC20 and C16 default colors. I was never a fan of the boot up default C64 colors... perhaps a light blue border, light gray screen combo with blue characters would have given it the advanced distinction over VIC without the dramatic / traumatic transition. :?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing