WIP: VICdesk office suite

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:A calculator in ML with operator precedences would even be better!
Wilson wrote:With liberal usage of KERNAL routines I trust? :) It's worth a shot. Do you think the memory usage would be comparable to a BASIC version?
Or whatever mixture of BASIC and ML would do the job. :)

One shouldn't spend that much thoughts about memory constraints - and you can savely assume a calculator will fit into the available memory. ;) Besides pointer input it should still support keyboard entry - the latter is simply faster.
Wilson wrote:I agree, but I must admit I prefer the look of the color PETSCII interface ... If it weren't for that darn cursor. :?
folkoh wrote:The only thing that worries me a bit is the strange PC-ish machine on the desktop instead of a proudly presented VIC ... :o
Of course, coding is only one of several aspects of this project. Design-wise ... since I already replied to Kweepa about the PC on the desktop ... there's always MINIPAINT around to change the outfit. :mrgreen:
Is anyone working on any particular program for this suite? I assume not, but I figure it is good to ask so we don't have four people making the same thing?
I am currently focussing on the text editor. If you want to make a shot at the calculator, go ahead.

Volunteers for the other parts, both for coding and design, are welcome.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mike wrote:Of course, coding is only one of several aspects of this project. Design-wise ... since I already replied to Kweepa about the PC on the desktop ... there's always MINIPAINT around to change the outfit. :mrgreen:
Is anyone working on any particular program for this suite? I assume not, but I figure it is good to ask so we don't have four people making the same thing?
I am currently focussing on the text editor. If you want to make a shot at the calculator, go ahead.

Volunteers for the other parts, both for coding and design, are welcome.
Happy to see a lot of cooperation! OK, given that this thing is involving people much more skilled at coding than I am (see the bar graphs program, thanks Mike for your better version), I will focus on graphics. I'll elaborate a draft of the desk top, hi-res version, including all the icons pointing to the applications we're currently working on, and submit it to public evaluation in a few days. Then, I'll ask Mike to make the click actually work :D .
folkoh wrote:Great stuff! I find the PETSCII-Version charming, but why not going for something much better in 2011? The only thing that worries me a bit is the strange PC-ish machine on the desktop instead of a proudly presented VIC...
I totally agree. Let's go with a surprising look! And don't worry, there will be a proud VIC instead :wink: ...
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Mike wrote:I am currently focussing on the text editor. If you want to make a shot at the calculator, go ahead.
Sure, I'll give it a go. I like the look of your mock up, so I'll try to match that visually.
Can't wait to see how everyone's work turns out. :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I was not aware of this project until now.

Wow!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks! To make it more "wow", HERE's a second proof of desktop graphics (load and run the disk to have a joystick-driven pointer):

Hope you like the logo I invented for this suite :P .
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I've worked a bit on the desk, and HERE's the new version:

Smaller (and definitely better) logo, smaller and less cartoonish objects, slightly modified desk drawers and door. Of course, there's space left for other icons.

Any news from the development crew?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:Any news from the development crew?
I'm currently working on a new keyboard decode routine, so the GETIN routine of the kernal directly returns ASCII codes, in the range 32 to 126, suitable for the output routines. Also, some keys are being remapped:

Code: Select all

Code Glyph  VIC Keyboard
  92   \    Pound
  94   ^    Arrow-Up
  95   _    Shift-Minus
  96   `    Arrow-Left
 123   {    Shift-@
 124   |    Shift-Pound
 125   }    Shift-*
 126   ~    Shift-Arrow-Left
A similar routine already had been put into MINIPAINT (for other reasons though), so this will mainly involve providing new key mappings.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great! Keep us updated :D .
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

I'm liking the desktop, orion. :) The calculator reminds me of the Sharp QT-8D.
I started work on the calculator the weekend before last. Nothing exciting to report yet. I have since, unfortunately, become bogged down with school work. :? Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to work on it more.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks. I tried to make all the objects look like early Eighties ones. In the next days, I'll be working on pie and other kind of charts. :wink:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Just to say this project is alive, although progressing slowly 8) ...
Here's the fourth version of the desktop :mrgreen: (chair and floppy added, changed logo, typewriter, and wall clock).

CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

So will this have it's own kernal (like GEOS) and a set memory space for apps. I would like to be able to create library files for TCB02 for creating VicDesk programs.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Hahaha analog wall clock! :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

Whats it looking like for memory requirements on this so far?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

@CurtisP: I don't think so. The desktop will simply launch external applications AFAIK - but please refer to Mike about this. It's always possible to change :P .

@Jeff: yes, but probably I will have to switch to digital to display the actual (running) time. BTW, I wonder how to put text into this desk top and bar charts... Sorry, it's my limit in programming Minigrafik.

@cobracon: it will be quite demanding RAM-wise, because of Minigrafik - probably +24K or full blocks. Good for people using VICE, a real VIC with the Final Expansion 3, Eslapion's Ultimate Expander, or the rare big RAM carts :) .