Printer ribbon re-inking?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

6502dude
megacart

Printer ribbon re-inking?

Post by 6502dude »

I managed to purchase a couple of new replacement ribbons for my Gemini 10X printer a few months ago.

They were tough to locate and I sure not too long from now, availaibility of replacement ribbons for 20+ year old printers will have dried up :wink:

Does anyone have experience re-inking old ribbons?

Is it worth the effort, or will I just end up with ink all over myself?
:lol:
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

I may get scolded by some repair techs, but I have found it useful to squirt WD-40 into a dot matrix printer ribbon to extend its printing darkness. Not _too_ much, mind you, just a gentle dampening of the ribbon.

I find that most dot matrix printers print in the center portion of the ribbon, leaving alot of space above and below that is not used. The ink in those locations dries up and/or just sits there. If I put a small amount of WD-40 on the ribbon, the ink dissolves into the WD-40 and spreads into the printable area of the ribbon. Then the WD-40 dries up and the ribbon works well. If you put too much WD-40 the print will get a little fuzzy because the ribbon is over wet, although it is still legible. Hmm maybe poor man's antialiasing.

The worst part is finding a spot on the cartridge where to stick the little red tube to evenly coat the ribbon. However I think on the 10X it uses little spools of ribbon, which makes it easy.

I am sure this approach would work for re-inking as well with real ink, assuming you can find a compatible ink. Over application would probably still be an issue.

Another trick for the 10X might be to "flip" the ribbon over if the printed area is off center, causing the printer to print on a fresh area of the ribbon. You might have to despool the ribbon to do this, which could be messy, and this assumes off center printing.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Re: Printer ribbon re-inking?

Post by Leeeeee »

Does anyone have experience re-inking old ribbons?

Is it worth the effort, or will I just end up with ink all over myself?
Yes, yes and very probably.

Some re-inking kits were better than others but don't ask which, I've not re-inked a ribbon for ages.

The WD-40 trick works well, especially for ribbons that have dried out rather than been used up.

Lee.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

They were tough to locate and I sure not too long from now, availaibility of replacement ribbons for 20+ year old printers will have dried up
i had to get ribbons for the following printers:

roland pr-1011
mps 1250
mps 1200
gemini ii

so far i have been able to get them from a local korec-type supplier.

i also managed to pick up three of every type i needed, as i am afraid as you are concenring availability in the future,

chris