WTB: VIC-20 Power Supply (round connector)

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

WTB: VIC-20 Power Supply (round connector)

Post by channelmaniac »

Hey everyone,

I have a VIC-20 system in the box with lots of pieces... the only problem is that the power supply has swelled up like a softball and is dead.

So... I'm looking for a later model VIC-20 power supply - the one with the round connector.

Not looking to spend a fortune... and can trade chips for it if you'd like.

Shipping is to ZIP code 75067

It's in such nice shape that I want to put it back together in working shape and use it as a door prize the next time I do a gaming show.

Thanks!

RJ

PS: 100th post! w00t!
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

You can use a C64 power supply on the later model VICs, and those should be pretty common. If you still can't find one, let me know as I have several extras!
channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

Thanks,

I'll dig in my storage locker... I may have one there.

RJ
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC-20 Power Supply

Post by Commander#1 »

Hello, RJ -

I also have a VIC with the round P/S connector (the P/S does work, but, it gets VERY hot!). By checking the innards of the
VIC, I found that the brick does the regulating - thus the heat. I hooked up a surplus 5 Vdc, 2A switching P/S to the Vic and it
works just fine. It's now my back-up P/S. The question, therefore, is - have you been able to find a replacement P/S yet?

Hope this finds you in good health. :D :D

Phil Potter.
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I know the C64 uses the 9VAC for some things (like making 5V for some circuitry and the voltage for the cassette motor), does the VIC only use 5V and not the 9VAC for anything?
My other interest: http://channelf.se
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

Hello RJ -

When I first did the P/S experiment, I checked the schematic and traced the board and found that the 9VAC lines passed
completely through the VIC to the users port. Along the way, it branched out to a small rectifier/filter cap. that ended up
as the cassette motor drive. As I had already made my own cassette interface, I wasn't to concerned about no tape
drive - therefore - the use of just 5VDC and ground. My thinking was that, since the tape drive was accessible in a program
for storing small bits of data and files and I only needed to store whole programs, the tape drive was not that necessary.
I have a hand full of C64's, but, I have not checked them out for voltage distribution technics yet. I hope you find this
info useful. Cheers! :D :D

By the way, if you're thinking of rustling up your own version of this - the connector is a standard 7 pin DIN connector.

Phil Potter.
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Sorry, the logic behind the following quote escapes me a bit:
Commander#1 wrote:My thinking was that, since the tape drive was accessible in a program for storing small bits of data and files [...]
Indeed you can store sequential data on tape via OPEN, PRINT#, GET#, INPUT# and CLOSE. Nothing wrong with that. But of course also programs can be stored on tape via LOAD and SAVE.
[...]and I only needed to store whole programs, the tape drive was not that necessary.
A disc drive is also both capable of storing programs, and sequential data. But beyond that, it features a directory, REL files with records, sector-wise direct access, and an own CPU.

It's understandable, that once you are used to a disc drive you really don't feel that urge to go back to tape again. ;)

But without the 9V from the DIN PSU, the datasette doesn't work. Simple as that.
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

As you're going to probably have to make your own 5V supply with 7 pin DIN connector, why not use a small 9V AC transformer as well to provide the 9V needed by the cassette (and user port, some RS-232 level converters use it). For most use, the transformer could be left disconnected, and could be simply plugged in for those times when it's needed.