want to connect the audio to a headphone jack

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

vic user
VicGyver

want to connect the audio to a headphone jack

Post by vic user »

what i want to do is just get the audio, and nothing else, from the audio/video port.

what i thought i would do, is to take a din plug, with only pin 3 actually there, and connect it to the audio/video port and then somehow have the other end as a headphone jack.

any advice would be appreciated.

chris
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

The easiest solution is to take standard 5 pin din a/v cable for Vic-20 / C64 and hook up rca jack to adapter cable (rca female jack to 1/8" mono phone jack) from Rat Shack.

I'm not sure of the where things are at, with Circuit City take over of the Canadian Rat Shack stores, or what inventory mix Circuit City will carry. So, you may need to make up adapter cable.

If you intend to drive headphones with audio out from Vic-20, they will need to be high impedance type as audio out is a line level output. Audio out can not effectively drive low impendance loads.

What are you trying to do with your project?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

thanks for the info!

i am not doing anything amazing.

i tend to use the 40 column card an awful lot, and have the video from it going to a monitor.

the 40 column card does not supply sound, so right now i have a second din plug going from the a/v port to the monitor, but i am only using that audio jack to connect to the monitor.

a coworker of mine donated a zenith b&w tv, which has an excellent picture, so i thought it would be best to use the b&w tv for the 40 column card, since the card only displays in b&w. (might as well use the monitor for colour apps. :)

thus, i would end up having the video from the 40 column go to the tv, and then have the audio from the a/v port go to some powered desktop computer speakers.

your method will be super easy to implement, and i think i have some adapters kicking around the house

yeah, last time i was at the shack, many shelves were bare because they had to send much product back to be repackaged with their new name :)

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

An adapter for 5-pin male DIN to 1/8" female phono (Swedish shop):

http://www.kjell.com/content/templates/ ... item=37126

It doesn't say which pin(s) are connected; it should be either 3+5 or 1+4 according to this pinout:

http://pinouts.ru/data/DinAudio_pinout.shtml

On the VIC-20, pin 1 holds +5V, pin 3 is audio output and the two video signals are on pins 4 an 5. Which channel is which on a stereo phono plug, and which of them would one get by putting a mono plug into the stereo jack? :)

Does your speakers have a built-in amplifier? I know too little about this kind of electronics, but I would fear that the speakers would "suck" an unamplified line signal and potentially cause damage. Probably I'm just anxious and not informed about how it works though. Otherwise you may find a small amplifier for little money, or have both the B/W and colour monitor turned on at the same time. Picture from one, sound from the other.

If I remember correctly, it would still be possible to get video output from the VIC-20 even when running in 40 column mode, but the default printout goes through the cartridge?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Does your speakers have a built-in amplifier?
yeah, i was just going to use those little powered and shielded desktop computer speakers.

that link you supplied showing that adapter. exactly what would be needed!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I could send you a cable for free if you like, It has three rca plugs marked vic20 video, c64 video and sound.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:I could send you a cable for free if you like, It has three rca plugs marked vic20 video, c64 video and sound.

/Anders
Woops... I didn't think it was that heavy. That would cost me 10.5 US dollars in postage only... So maybe it's better if you buy one just like it locally. It's a standard adapter cable. It has a din plug in one end and four rca plugs in the other end. The only thing I've done with it was to mark which plug is what and plugged the unused one...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

holy smokes, that is expensive postage.

i think us canucks must get subsidized somehow.

thanks for the gesture!

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Chris also needs the adapter from RCA to 1/8" (3.5mm) jack in order to connect the speakers. I think that part may take more time to find than a DIN to RCA cable.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image