Write to Datasettes Via PC?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Startropic1
Vic 20 Drifter

Write to Datasettes Via PC?

Post by Startropic1 »

Has anyone created an app for writing vic-20/C64 programs to datasettes on the PC? On the hardware side, I think this should be doable. I have a newer cassette recorder that I used to connect to my PC via the sound card to convert my music tapes to CD-Rs. My casette recorder also has mic & REM ports, and even a counter. So doing the process in reverse is entirely doable.
Gorf FTW
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

From what I know from the C64, there are programs that convert T64 program into WAV sound files. I used to burn it to CD and then in a stereo reccord it on tape. I used to have a stereo that had no sound input, that's why.

With a cassette deck that has a sound input line-in, you would play the Wav file from the computer directly to the tape deck. That tprogram I used to use is : WAV-PRG 2.3 By Fabrizio Gennari, 1998, 2001. I have yet to spend time doing the sime kind of transaction for Vic-20. Note that the program mentionned above can only do Commodore 64 tapes (T64), but suerely there is an equivalent out there for VIC-20.
Startropic1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Startropic1 »

I figured the program would have to be converted to an audio file. I would think this could be taken a step further as an all-in-one program so to speak, that could internally convert the program to audio and transmit to the connected tape recorder.
Gorf FTW
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

The sticky thread 'Software we use for transfer' in the Emulation and Cross Development section gives a good overview of the available tools.
vimfuego
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by vimfuego »

A bit of self promotion here :)
http://c8d.cbm8bit.com/

I use the Cassadapt device on my Vic20 (or C64) no problem. I play a .tap file out the PC sound card direct to the Commodore computer, it thinks the data is coming from a datassette. I just means you don't need to bother recording to tape (though you can if you wanted to).
I use WAV-PRG on the PC side to send the .tap file out the sound card.