Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ravin' Ray wrote:Ok.

I've lurked here a couple of times in the past few years, and now decided to take the plunge and join in.

The VIC-20 was the first computer we ever had when my Dad took home one from his trip to the US in 1982. It came with the C2N Datasettet and a Demon Attack cartridge, and before I got into BASIC the game what we all used the VIC for at first. Our hardware collection later grew to several games, mostly from Commodore (Gorf, Omega Race, Alien, Radar Rat Race, the Frogger clone Princess and Frog, and a 16KB RAM expander).

My VIC stopped working years ago, and since there is no more Commodore dealer in the Philippines I haven't had it serviced. So it's stored in the crate for one of my monitors, the original box having been lost ages ago. I also have a 64 but that too is not working.

And for my name? Well, the "Ray" is my nickname shortened from my first name, and the "Ravin'" rhymes in part with that and shows how I feel about about something I like.
I think you're our first member from the Philippines. I would like to know more about the VIC's history in that region.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Ravin' Ray
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Ravin' Ray »

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff.

Commodore had an active if not necessarily widespread following here, as least in the big cities. There was one store at the financial district of Metro Manila which represented the exclusive dealer for Commodore and it offered in-store BASIC lessons. To be honest when I took them the level of sophistication wasn't far above what the user's guide taught me; and I never got into assembly language. But seeing those desks full of VICs (and later, 64s) with kids like me typing away made me feel like belonging to something. The dealer moved on to the Amiga and Commodore PCs and opened a branch in the new mall that was near my high school. That high school of mine, by the way, had a Japanese VIC which surprised me as I didn't know about Commodore's reach back then. I don't know what happened to it (though I did sneak in my game cartridges to play on it) so I assume it must be gathering dust in storage.

If I can find a way to have my VIC diagnosed and repaired (a few of the hooks that held the two halves of the case broke off when I opened it, and one chip had that white glue-like heat dissipator on it wiped off by me), I sure would like to get it working again.

As an aside, the Philippines had a plant that manufactured the Amiga CD32. Prior to Commodore's demise, it got into a dispute with the government and the units were siezed as collateral if I remember the details correctly (reading about it years after the event took place).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Welcome to Denial, friend. I would love to see if any VIC-1001s are still working in the Philippines!
Ravin' Ray
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Ravin' Ray »

Not just 1001's but Americaln-model VICs like mine! Maybe I'll put up a notice somewhere asking people in the Philippines what happened to their VICs.

In the meantime, I joined a VIC-20 Facebook page, gotten VICE, and went back to playing my old faves like Demon Attack, Radar Rat Race, and Alien on it. Ah, the memories. Plus, I have all these ideas brewing in my head for the VIC (VIC Archon, case mods, etc.). And, I'm gonna have to dig out my old VIC stuff and take pics of them for you guys to see :D
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Hi,

My username is one I use on all forums. It's what H.R.Giger called his Alien. I'm a big fan of the film Aliens.

Anyway, I've recently bought myself a Vic-20 and I thought I'd join here to pick your brains on a few things.

I used to have a Vic-20 circa 1983 (I had a VCS before that), so it's good to have one again. I got myself a Vixen RAM pack, and it's hooked up to my 1541 to load games (I used CBM4WIN to make a disk on the PC).

I was playing Blitz on my 40" screen yesterday :lol:

I also have a C64, C64c, A500, and A1200.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

necronom wrote:I was playing Blitz on my 40" screen yesterday
How was the experience ? :wink:
A really Commodore fan !

Welcome on Denial :D
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

nbla000 wrote:
necronom wrote:I was playing Blitz on my 40" screen yesterday
How was the experience ? :wink:
Blitz was great :D I managed to land, too. I also played The Perils of Willy, which was supposed to be a quick go, but I ended up playing for ages, and I think I got to the last level and died. It's a bit easy, since that was my first go ever. Good fun though, and I'll have to try again.
nbla000 wrote:
A really Commodore fan !

Welcome on Denial :D
Thanks for the welcome, and yes, I'm a bit of a CBM fan. I miss Commodore a lot.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Hallo Necronom,

I only have to say one thing to you: great avatar!

It took me ages to find one for me and then someone comes with one which is much, much nicer. But I'm a technician, not an artist.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Could both of you explain your avatars?
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Jeff-20 wrote:Could both of you explain your avatars?
:shock: Really!?

I take it you never had a C64, then? Wasn't it the law that anyone with a Vic-20 got a C64 afterwards :wink:

My avatar is the Influence Device from Paradroid, a classic C64 game by Andrew Braybrook

The great thing about it is that the "001" (droid number) looks like two eyes and the side of the droid.

I use it everywhere (even on my PS3 and mobile phone), apart from an Aliens board I visit (I use the UK C64 version of Aliens for that).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Commodore made computers after the VIC?

But seriously, no, I don't own the C64. It looks cool, but I probably wouldn't use it.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

necronom wrote:I use it everywhere (even on my PS3 and mobile phone), apart from an Aliens board I visit (I use the UK C64 version of Aliens for that).
As I've mentioned before, I use the Paradroid "music" as the ringtone on my mobile phone. Annoys the heck out of everyone, but it's really distinctive!
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Schema wrote:As I've mentioned before, I use the Paradroid "music" as the ringtone on my mobile phone. Annoys the heck out of everyone, but it's really distinctive!
Nice!

I have various SID tunes as ringtones - Delta, Comic Bakery, Thing on a Spring, and my text message is the "Da Da, Daaaaaaa" from Rambo :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Joining Denial

Post by OBSysteme »

Hi there! well, after eves dropping on this nice community of yours on several occasions, I have decided to join in!

I am not strictly a vic-20 fan or fanatic, but I like all vintage computers, from the oldest up to the Ms-DOS ones (I still write some of the stuff for my work on Ms-DOS computers.... love the lack of multitasking, helps me focus).

My hobby links me to retro-computers. I make amateur music and plan to use more and more vintage computers in this endeavor. In making music I also sample alot from old media (radio, tapes, etc...).

I am not really a collector by I currently own 4 C64's two Vic-20's and one Ti99/4a (some in need of restoration). they tend to get collected in the intent of using them in music making.

I am usually resisting temptation to rescue old computer stuff because I lack the space and time, but I do falter and have been ammassing old floppies and Cassettes and other stuff from people in my current town (Moncton, Canada). It turns out my town was strong on Vic-20's (alot of them lying around) and this has turned some of my attention from the C64 to the Vic-20. C64 is something, but Vic-20 defenitively has its distinct feel, "ancient greatness", and I like the odd aspect of the sounds it can produce and so I grow fond of it the more I play with it.

So I hope you will help me learn more about the machine and help me out when i'm stuck. I'll also share shortly what'S on some old tapes I have rescued this past year. Maybe there are somme things your haven't seen yet? who knows.

Oh, and about explaining my name, it Stands for Obsolète Broadcast Système, which is the name of my musical project. The "Obsolete Broadcast" refers to liking and using old equipment and sounds, and the "Systeme" is to turn it into a band name (it is a kudos to African musical formations, in many places there, many bands add the word "Systeme" or "System" at the end of their names).

Sorry for the long message :?

cheers! :D