Data Casettes?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Startropic1
Vic 20 Drifter

Data Casettes?

Post by Startropic1 »

Can data be written to modern blank audio cassettes with the data cassette deck?
Gorf FTW
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I think so.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

It certainly has worked fine on the C64 with everything I bought up until about 2 or 3 years ago when they stopped selling them in my town. :evil:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Yes, plain audio cassettes work just fine. I used them when I was just starting out with the VIC last year.

You can find them on eBay easily enough.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Just don't make them too big, it strains the tape motors. Try for C30 and less...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

I've hear reccomendations on avoiding C90 or longer tapes for the reason that the tape band is too thin and might make the programs unreadable with age ? If you plan an everlasting relationship with you Vic-20, avoid C-90 and over tapes ?

Nice remark on the over C-30 tapes and the motor issue, I never realised that.

I guess C-60 tapes would not be so bad if they are high quality cassettes with a minimum of friction (top-cassette-case designs) ?
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by folkoh »

OBSysteme wrote:I've hear reccomendations on avoiding C90 or longer tapes for the reason that the tape band is too thin and might make the programs unreadable with age ? If you plan an everlasting relationship with you Vic-20, avoid C-90 and over tapes ?

Nice remark on the over C-30 tapes and the motor issue, I never realised that.

I guess C-60 tapes would not be so bad if they are high quality cassettes with a minimum of friction (top-cassette-case designs) ?
Ahem. One comment from the peanut gallery.

I've used only C-60 and C-90 tapes back in 1982, because my pocket money did not allow to buy all these C-15 and C-30 tapes "designed for the special use with the datasette". The industry wanted us to buy expensive short "data-tapes" and the reasons they gave us were the same mentioned here.

All I can say is: My C-60 and C-90 tapes have always worked fine, even after many many years and so does my 28 year old datasette. Just don't use chromdioxide tapes, they lead to load errors after some time of using them.

No worries,

Folko
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Folkoh: thanks for the insight !
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Data Casettes?

Post by Boray »

Startropic1 wrote:Can data be written to modern blank audio cassettes with the data cassette deck?
Why wouldn't it?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

I love programs on cassettes, they are so durable, despite what people say.

I rescued at least 700 floppies so far, from people storing them in horrible conditions and many are rotten, but all old cassettes i've found always worked.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I agree. I read somewhere - can't remember exactly where - that despite its reputation, tape is one of the most affordable and durable media.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

My experience doing tape dumps are that tapes (Only vic-20/c64 tapes tested/dumped) are very durable IF you have a c2n that is cleaned / aligned and you store the tapes in a not too damp/moist environment and a tempurature that don't vary too much over short intervals.
Personally I think tape is a better media than floppy disk for durability.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.