WTB: Reasonably Priced Vectrex

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

WTB: Reasonably Priced Vectrex

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I'm after a working Vectrex preferably with the Minestorm overlay. I'm tired of bidding on Ebay and being sniped constantly...it's really taint the fun out of 'buying' a Vectrex!

I'd like to pay around the £50 mark hopefully through Paypal. I have £100 to spend but I want to buy a multicart too. ;)

Thanks in anticipation!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Best of luck, I hope you have an easier time with finding one at that price than I did ;)

My first working Vectrex, good condition, 1 controller, 8 games = $175US shipped

My second Vectrex, mint, complete in box, 2 controllers = $249US shipped
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

You'll be lucky to find one on eBay for under 50 quid, even though prices have come down a bit in the last few years. 75 quid is probably more the optimistic estimate of what you'll have to pay. I would then suggest getting a VecFlash to play anything you want, but Richard has stopped doing them now, in favour of an upcoming memory card version. I'd wait for that and buy it over ANY multicart, because you can customise whatever you wish to put on it...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Pedro,

I have 2, you can take my second one if you want when I get back from Q.

I don't think I have the overlay though.

I will be coming to Edinburgh week of 10th May.

Ian
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

I paid aus$200 (us$180) for mine. I'm currently in the middle of replacing all the caps on it. Wouldn't mind a boxed one. But I haven't seen any in New Zealand and the prices on e-bay are ridiculous.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

it was a joy playing some games on ral-clan's Vectrex, when he brought it over to my place, a couple of years back.

I think I really enjoyed Scramble, on it.

What a cool system.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Ian, that sounds good. Will you manage it up okay? Btw, how's the big Q?:)

Mayhem, is it Richard who is planning the new flash cart or us it someone else? Oh, and is there a time frame for it (that you know of?). And while you're at it how much do you want for the Android cart?! :p

vic user, it is a mighty cool system. Unique in a number of ways and has aged incredibly well.

I have only ever played it through emulation but have decided enough is enough - it's time for the real deal! I have wanted one for as long as I can remember but never got around to picking one up until now. After considering buying an Intellivision out of curiousity I thought I'd be better spending that money on something I've always wanted. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Sure, the VecFlash will be great, but I wanted a multicart for my Vectrex in the meantime. I bought the 72-in-1 multicart a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. It was £49.99, which is pretty reasonable when compared to most multicarts I've purchased over the last few years...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The VecFlash cost less than that... which is why today unless multicart sellers can offer their product for say £10-15, then it's not worth it by comparison.
Pedro Lambrini wrote:Mayhem, is it Richard who is planning the new flash cart or us it someone else? Oh, and is there a time frame for it (that you know of?). And while you're at it how much do you want for the Android cart?! :p
Yeah Richard is in the middle of developing a memory card version of the Vectrex flash cart. It'll work like the Cuttlecarts for example, you load the ROMs on the SD cart and put it into the cartridge to run them. Dunno when it will be ready, but if he's stopped making the VecFlash then it must be sufficiently far along.

As for Android, £750 minimum with the likelihood increasing slightly with more money... which isn't very likely ;)
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Mayhem wrote:The VecFlash cost less than that... which is why today unless multicart sellers can offer their product for say £10-15, then it's not worth it by comparison.
Wow, I had no idea it was that inexpensive. I didn't have a Vectrex in 2007, so I wasn't in the market. Because of that, until now the only thing I knew about the VecFlash price was from this multicart thread at AtariAge which said it was $80US. The only VecFlashes I've seen for sale in the last several months were much higher than $80, and therefore the 72-in-1 cart didn't seem like a bad deal at all...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I think it came down a little, I believe mine was $70 (or the equivalent 40 quid in UK terms iirc) and that was middle of last year. But technology changes with time and I guess Richard feels this solution is a better option; it might be cheaper to make and more "reliable" as the storage flash media is easily removed and replaced if corrupt.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Did you guys notice someone else using the name "MegaCart"? It's for the O2.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Jeff-20 wrote:Did you guys notice someone else using the name "MegaCart"? It's for the O2.
How odd. I did a ton of searches a while back for O2 multicards, and I never came across that one. Then again, from reading the specs, maybe that was a good thing...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There are some systems I just can't get into: O2, 3DO, Jaguar . . . And there are systems I adore that most people seem to ignore: Astrocade, Saturn, Vic 20 . . .
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I haven't tried the Astrocade but for some reason I love the Saturn and not necessarily for the usual games (ie/PDS or Burning Rangers). I actually really enjoy playing Doom, Alien Trilogy...all the multi platform stuff. Which is strange as I just can't get into the Playstation and all these games are on it. The Saturn certainly has the best by far digital controller IMO. Maybe that's something to do with it... :)