Vic Radio

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Vic Radio

Post by Ihavenousername »

For a while there has been an idea for a project in my head, and I've finally decided to start working on it, or at least planning it out.

One of my hobbies besides computers is radio. I've built a couple radio transmitters, antennas, and other radio related items, but ever since I built my first radio transmitter I had the idea to build an AM radio transmitter controlled by a VIC through the user port.

I've never programmed anything on the VIC for the user port, or built anything for it. But I was hoping to at least be able to power on the transmitter, and turn the transmission on and off with the VIC.

Can anyone give me any advice for programming with the user port?
Or any ideas for the project.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

it might be easiest with something like Vic Rel - you can get modern remakes on Ebay.

The port is bidirectional

poke 37138 ($9112) with the direction of the port B individual bits you want to use, set a bit to 1 for port B line to be an output

e.g poke 37138,56 sets 00111000 so port B has 5 inputs and 3 outputs
poke / peek 37136 ($9110) accesses Port B

Alternatively see pages 229-232 of programmers reference guide.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Re: Vic Radio

Post by pitcalco »

Keep us posted on your progress. I would love to see what you come up with!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Ihavenousername »

I'll post any progress I make. At the moment I just have to gather parts though. Since all of my radio crystals that aren't already inside of something are broken.

And I would love to try Vic Rel. But I'm kind of short on money at the moment, and most Ebay things I find are to much for me. So for now I'll probably just have to use the programmers guide.

While I'm gathering the parts I'll start working on a program to go with it.

I'm still open to any ideas on the program or the radio.