Games we want to see

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

You once said that you could make a version of Ghostbusters in Basic for the unexpanded VIC. Why don't you give that a shot?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps some winter themed game with the Olympics just around the corner? You remember that German biathlon game which borrowed graphics from C64 Winter Games. I'm sure you can come up with your very own graphics, just decide on an event to implement. Ski jumping is always cool. Speed skating would represent a genre (sprint running) that is rarely seen on the VIC. Well, actually sports game as a total are rare on the VIC-20. Perhaps even you can get your own twist to it if you like.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I have an idea for a number-based puzzler if you're interested...
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

number-based puzzler? like sudoku?

I'm really interested in coming up with a theme not yet explored on the VIC. Modern themes are fun to port. I'm still waiting for someone with better music skills to make a rhythm game.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

One rather simple game that I planned to implement a couple of years ago is Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb as featured below:
http://www.donpixel.com/play/es/060201201034/

You just need the gameplay, not the graphics or exact theme. My idea was to reverse it into a submarine game, where you have some kind of digging/explosive device that will create small crates into an underwater cliff and allow a diver to get further down into the ocean. Or well, I dunno. Some of the previous Yetisports games are quite nice too.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Jeff-20 wrote:What kind of game should I make tonight?
I just realized I have like 8-9 games/ideas in planning, of which zero that I am close to finish and release! :oops: Let's see how many I get out this year...

Definitive
Berznake
Vicball (IIRC)
Rotating Wheels
Bastard Othello Deluxe

Possible
Football Manager
Vicfalldot (working title)
Vicdot (quite uncertain)
Spiral
Pyro
.. possibly something that I forgot
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Still waiting for your soccer game. :P
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, that is "Vicball", number two on my priority list. Well, like priority lists have any relevance.
Anders Carlsson

Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

carlsson you already know what I think that should become the project number one in your priority list, isn't it? Even if that "football manager" isn't too bad, indeed...
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I'm so stoked to see Q-bert, Omega Fury and now Bezerk it makes me wonder if a game like Sinistar with its speech and complex gameplay can even be attempted now with the new tools out for the Vic?
Learning all the time... :)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Sadly Q-bert seems to have died and no-one can get a response from Brighty. I even emailed him a couple of weeks ago but has no joy... :(

But, yeah, the others have happened alright (thanks Robert!).

Sinistar would be cool - is it even possible, though? That's a lot of fast action.

Personally, since playing the Berzerk demo and messing around with Amok and Super Amok I would now officially love to see something along the lines of Alien Breed done on the Vic. I really think with some well chosen minimalist SFX and the cool graphics that are being pulled out of the machine these days that something like that is really viable. A good spooky exploration game...yum!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The new Berzerk lets us know Wizard of Wor is possible. I just wish we had two joystick ports. That's the charm of the game. Any suggestions as how to implement two players?
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

You could have autofire on the two players nad then use paddles. Turn the paddle to move left and right and to move up and down hold the fire button and turn...or build a two player adapter for the user port. I prefer my first idea though. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Would joystick and 2nd player on keyboard be bad?
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I think Sinistar's fast action would be possible with the same sort of vector graphics as used in Omega Race. Just do everything in vector graphics --- Omega Race is very snappy. Big red letters on the screen could be the voice "I HUNGER!"

Rather than "downgrading" I'd propose an Intellivision game that might be improved on a bit:

Imagic's Swords and Serpents or Tower of Doom: http://www.videogamecritic.net/intelsz.htm