Question about Using TV Tuner Card with Vic-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Question about Using TV Tuner Card with Vic-20

Post by Barney »

I have an interresting question. If I install a PCI TV Tuner card in my PC and plug my VIC-20 into it, will it output successfully to my my PC LCD monitor? Just curious if this is possible. Having two monitors on my desk is taking up too much space.

Barney
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

As long as the card has an RF and/or composite input (or an S-Video input and your VIC-20 has the S-Video mod) then yeah, it should work. There's a guy at Lemon who does that with his 64. I tried something similar on my notebook once with a USB tuner but there was a lag. :(
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

The one I am looking at has an RF input. If there is any lag at all, I'm not going to bother. Is there likely going to be a lag using the RF input or do you think I'll be fine.

Barney
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I don't think it has anything to do with the input(s) but rather the processing capability of the card and/or the PC-side software. I'm sorry but I can't say authoritatively. Maybe you could search Google for reviews of the TV tuner card to see if anyone talks about lag? Not much of a suggestion but that's all I've got. :(
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I did a little googling and found out that the cards that perform MPEG encoding have a noticeable lag. I might be ok. I saw some cheap ones around $15 on ebay. For that price, its worth a shot.

Barney
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have one of those cheap 13 inch LCD TV monitor combos. It didn't cost much and it takes little desk space, but I don't use it anymore. I prefer to use the vic from the foot of my bed connected to a large CRT tv. I bet you could get a monitor like this for really cheap now.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I recently bought an used 15" TFT monitor which has VGA, S-Video and composite inputs. It is a noname brand and used, so I get what I pay for. In VGA text mode (MS-DOS) the characters flicker and bleed a little. In composite mode (VIC-20) the screen just barely keeps sync, but I blame that on poorly implemented composite video on the VIC and many other systems of the 1980's.

Granted there will be some sort of lag when you run the video through a capture card, the question is how many frames behind you will be. After all you have hardware which converts an analog video signal to digital data, processed by the PC CPU which in its turn puts graphic data for the graphic card to render onto screen.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I use a PCI TV card with the very common BT848 chip and it works great. No lag that I can see. But don't bother going through the VIC's RF modulator – connect it straight to the composite jack on the TV card (or the S-video jack if you've done the S-video mod on your VIC).

You can see screen dumps from my VIC connected to the TV card on the wiki. the last three screenshots are mine.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I wonder which are the fastest, most timing critical VIC-20 games. Those you could use as benchmarks to see if your setup is fast enough. It may depend on where into the game you are.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I tried to use a capture card but the capture is not very good for realtime use since the output is in a small box.

My monitor has composite input but not a very good scaler from the PAL to its native 1920x1200 resolution. This makes the artefacts quite bad.

I'm considering converting my VIC to S-Video because the monitor also has S-Video input. This should give me the clearest signal.

I did have a 20" Sony Bravia LCD TV for using with retro systems. Small and very good display. However because many TV stations in Australia have moved to Digital that replaced the main CRT TV in the loungeroom. The CRT would not fit on my desk.

I do have a 1084 monitor as well but you can't hook a VIC up to that.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Bacon, you mentioned that your TV Tuner card uses the BT848 chip. What model/brand card do you have. If yours works fine then that is definitely the one I need to look into buying.

Thanks.

Barney
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Richard James wrote: I do have a 1084 monitor as well but you can't hook a VIC up to that.
Sorry for the OT but doesn't the 1084 have composite inputs?

Slightly more on topic but personally I would sacrifice a lot of space just to keep a CRT telly for the Vic. I've tried lots of screens in different set ups but the best picture by a mile is on a cheap 14" portable telly. If you use the Vic for any length of time you'll really appreciate it. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Sorry for the OT but doesn't the 1084 have composite inputs?
It has Chroma and Luma inputs is there some way to plug composite into it that I don't know of? The wiki page on the 1701/1702 monitors shows a picture of a split chroma and luma input on one of those.

Edit

After googling for a bit I see that the 1084 has Audio/Video/Chroma inputs. You can plug the VIC20 into the Audio/Video
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Barney wrote:Bacon, you mentioned that your TV Tuner card uses the BT848 chip. What model/brand card do you have. If yours works fine then that is definitely the one I need to look into buying.
It's an old OEM (i.e. no brand, no name) card I bought years and years ago, but any PCI card with that chip and a composite input should work just as good as mine. The trouble is of course to find out which cards use the BT848 chip. I can't help you there but I know it's a very common chip.
Richard James wrote:After googling for a bit I see that the 1084 has Audio/Video/Chroma inputs. You can plug the VIC20 into the Audio/Video
My 1084s (the stereo version of the 1084) has a chroma and a luma input in the back and a pushbutton that switches one of them to composite input.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Spirantho
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Spirantho »

You'll find most card use the successor to the Bt8x8 chipset - the Conexant CX2388x chipset.

There will be a lag, but hopefully not a noticable one, and you may get some interlacing weirdness because of the scandoubling. However, it should work if you can put up with those (usually minor) issues.

When I was developing the BT8x8 and Cx2388x capture drivers for AmigaOS 4, I actually used a C64 as my test composite signal!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com except it's a nEt not a nIt
www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for repairs and hardware/software