Vintage Computer Festival UK 2010

Discuss anything related to the VIC
VCF-GB
Vic 20 Newbie

Vintage Computer Festival UK 2010

Post by VCF-GB »

Hi all,

Just to make you all aware of the UK's first Vintage Computer Festival. June 18th*-20th 2010.

In and around the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park, this is a three day event celebrating the history of computing in the UK. It will cover everything from early machines to retro gaming!

There will be a variety of things to look forward to, including:

Exhibition of private collections
Guest lectures
Machine demonstrations
Bring and buy sale
Vintage challenge
Private collections are welcome and a secure area is planned to allow visitors to see and learn more about the history and restoration of computer systems

All in the beautiful setting of Bletchley Park!

Those who would like to exhibit a private collection, would like to give a demonstration or would simply like to know more are cordially invited to get in touch via the contacts page on our website - please mention that you saw this post on Denial forums.

www.vcf-gb.org

The site has some basic details at the moment and is currently still under construction, so keep watching for further details!

If any of you have an impressive collection of CBM/VIC-20 kit, then would you be interested in having a display? We're keen to attract enthusiasts who are willing to be both exhibitors and/or speakers.

Regards,
Simon.
:D

*18th June is for setting up and exhibitor BBQ event.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I'm there 8) .
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: Vintage Computer Festival UK 2010

Post by Mayhem »

VCF-GB wrote:If any of you have an impressive collection of CBM/VIC-20 kit, then would you be interested in having a display? We're keen to attract enthusiasts who are willing to be both exhibitors and/or speakers.
*makes note of own name in reference to this before anyone does it for him*

Still, I can have a think on it while I am on holiday currently...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

According to the map, it seems to be only some 100-120 km away from Stansted airport so in theory even foreign people may show up. I don't know about the public transportations though, it would need to be looked up. Of course if people from the Stansted-London area would go to the event we might share a car or something.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Wow, I might even make it there.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:it seems to be only some 100-120 km away from Stansted airport
Wow I may reach the Stansted airport from a small airport near me (about 80km) with a cheap Ryanair fly... very interesting
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

carlsson wrote:According to the map, it seems to be only some 100-120 km away from Stansted airport so in theory even foreign people may show up. I don't know about the public transportations though, it would need to be looked up. Of course if people from the Stansted-London area would go to the event we might share a car or something.
The Stanstead Express that runs from Stanstead Airport to Liverpool Street is very efficient. That gets you into London. From there, you'll probably need to get the tube to Euston -- Central Line until Tottenham Court Road and then the Northern Line to Euston. From there, you should be able to get a train to the Bletchley/Milton Keynes area.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

English Invader wrote:From there, you should be able to get a train to the Bletchley/Milton Keynes area.
I went to London some year ago, I think that what you suggested takes more then 2 hours, considering connections, we risk that the fly to London will be quicker an cheaper than the trip from the Airport to the show... :lol:

Considering English public service vehicles rates we can rent a car for at least 3/4 guys... just a small problem... left-hand drive :shock:

We need an English man on our group, English Invader are you ready :D

PS: How to reach the The National Museum of Computing:
http://www.tnmoc.org/directions.aspx
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

We also need our different airplanes to land approximately at the same time. But yes, I already mentioned this meet to my local friends. We'll have to see what it turns out into.

By the way, will this event have anything to do with the yearly Vintage Computer Festivals? I see there are VCF East, VCF West and occassionally VCF Europa. Latest European show was in 2008, so it is possible these UK organizers are trying to pick up a torch dropped by the Germans.
Anders Carlsson

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

nbla000 wrote:
English Invader wrote:From there, you should be able to get a train to the Bletchley/Milton Keynes area.
I went to London some year ago, I think that what you suggested takes more then 2 hours, considering connections, we risk that the fly to London will be quicker an cheaper than the trip from the Airport to the show... :lol:

Considering English public service vehicles rates we can rent a car for at least 3/4 guys... just a small problem... left-hand drive :shock:

We need an English man on our group, English Invader are you ready :D

PS: How to reach the The National Museum of Computing:
http://www.tnmoc.org/directions.aspx
I never got my driving licence so I'm no help in that regard :oops: .

If you buy an All-Day-Travelcard from Stanstead (about £15/£20), this gets you to London and enables you to use the Underground and buses all over the city. When you get to Euston, you can ask for an extension to Bletchley (about £15 return).
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Not too bad, thanks for the info.
VCF-GB
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by VCF-GB »

carlsson wrote:We also need our different airplanes to land approximately at the same time. But yes, I already mentioned this meet to my local friends. We'll have to see what it turns out into.

By the way, will this event have anything to do with the yearly Vintage Computer Festivals? I see there are VCF East, VCF West and occassionally VCF Europa. Latest European show was in 2008, so it is possible these UK organizers are trying to pick up a torch dropped by the Germans.
Yes, we are linked to the other Vintage Computer Festivals and they have given us their blessing to run the first UK event. :)

Incidentally, we are less than five minutes walk from Bletchley train station (on the same road in fact). There is a direct train from London Euston which takes about 35/40 minutes. :)

Bletchley Park directions :

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content ... indus.rhtm
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

For that matter, Ryanair hasn't yet released flight schedules for June 2010 so it is not in a hurry. As matter of fact, in practise you can so far only book until the end of March.
Anders Carlsson

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:For that matter, Ryanair hasn't yet released flight schedules for June 2010 so it is not in a hurry.
Yes, I've seen, thanks.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Now the VCF-GB web page has links to recommended hotel. Ryanair has also put up timetables, so I've begun to look into detail what it will cost and how to get to Milton Keynes. I've also asked my friends if some want to follow, better hope they don't wait too long to decide.
Anders Carlsson