Data recovery from old cbm floppies ?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ViperSan
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Data recovery from old cbm floppies ?

Post by ViperSan »

Hi friends ..
As you might have realised from previous threads I've started...I'm in the process of recovering as much hardware and software from my cbm glory days as I can.
At the moment ..one of these projects is archiving to pc what I can recover from a large box of old 'dog eared' floppies.
A large number of these discs fail during the transfer process from my 1540 to pc using cbm4win.
Some discs are still 100% intact ..
Some have limited data corruption..
& some are just unreadable ...but this could be an alignment problem..(I can't test this theory until the 1541 I won on ebay arrives)...but more likely its down to the disc surfaces degrading over the last 15-20 years.
(Any 'Wabash' brand discs seem particularly damaged in this way)
Are there any commodore utils out there which might help repair or recover some of this lost data..?
Have any group members any useful hints n tips for restoring floppy data ?
All help and info would be much appreciated..
rgds
VS
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I would try with a 1541 without any disk turbo... PC transfer programs uses disk turbo... (what I'm aware of). Also try different diskdrives if you have more than one and cleaning the disk drive head. You can also clean the actual disks if they are dirty. I did that once a long time ago. I took the actual round disk out and cleaned it with water and soap, let it dry and put it back... It was a little hard to put it together again though.... I painted the disk case pink while I was at it.... ;)

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

mmmm.... excuse me? Pink?? Bwahahahaha :D

Leo
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Pink metallic actually...

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

woohoo!

i am not the only one who likes drawing on floppy jackets!

chris
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

vic user wrote:woohoo!

i am not the only one who likes drawing on floppy jackets!

chris
I have no artistic skills at all. However, I used to put assignment notes on floppy jackets in my undergrad days.

On file recovery - I started down this path with my collection and then gave up because of all the disk errors. I didn't have much orginal stuff.

I then opted to re-create my old collection on new 5.25" floppies from PRG files found in Gamebase collection.
hackz0id
Vic 20 Newbie

Hi quality discs

Post by hackz0id »

I've got an CBM disk-collection from some dude when I bought all his old Commodore stuff in the late 90ies.

Guess his parents was rich becoz all his discs was Maxell Gold with a lifetime guarantee.

When i started converting all my floppies to .d64-files these diskettes ALL WORKED and they had not been used since the mid-80ies. Isn't that quite remarkable? Just one of them all didn't work, but then again it looked as somebodys been sitting on it or something so that was understandable.

//MH