Older 2 pin PSU

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Older 2 pin PSU

Post by TarkaTOtter »

I've now got a 3rd Vic but it has no PSU - its the older 2-pin design

Even I can solder a new connector to the large coil behind the plug inside the Vic, so I was wondering if the following PSU would be fine alternative?

Adaptor 3 pin Uk input, 9VAC 1900MA output.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adaptor-3-pin-Uk- ... 40558420QQ

I think this has a higher Amp (I think its 1.9 Amps output) is it OK to put this in to an elderly Vic or should I get some other supply?

Thanks Tarka
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If I recall correctly, the original black box is rated 9V 3A in Europe, possibly 9V 2A in the USA. However people previously measured power use in the VIC-20 and I think that one should deliver enough power.

Too bad you didn't post a week ago. In that case I could've picked up a 220V two-prong PSU for you. By now it probably is somewhere in Poland. :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by TarkaTOtter »

Thanks - that Info should allow me to move forward.

I will try to put a little 2.5mm socket between the joystick and old 2prong socket so I can use an original later if I ever find one

Shame I missed the original PSU
:roll:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

As per the Denial Wiki for power supplies. Mine is a little different to the rating Carlsson quoted, but we had that discussion in the past when I looked at my supply...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I managed to find two in the space of a few weeks. The first was bought on its own for about a tenner and the second came with another VIC-20.

Fear not. If the likes of me can find a two-pin PSU, there's hope for everyone :) .
Clockmeister
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Clockmeister »

I bought and housed a generic 9VAC 2A transformer to use with my 2 prong VIC-20's and it works perfectly.
Clockmeister.

Commodore and more...
http://www.users.on.net/~clockmeister
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Older 2 pin PSU

Post by Commander#1 »

I think this has a higher Amp (I think its 1.9 Amps output) is it OK to put this in to an elderly Vic or should I get some other supply?

Thanks Tarka[/quote]

Hi Guys :D

I've been waiting awhile to see what idea's come across on this subject. It looks like there's room for my two cents worth.
So -- with due regards to my esteemed colleagues, here goes. I have both the older 2 pin Vic and the newer 7 pin Din plug
Vic. In regards to the 2 pin P/S - the external black colored "brick" holds only a power transformer, where, in my case, it's
secondary is rated 10.5 vAC @ 1.8 Amps. The bridge rectifier and 5 vDC regulator are mounted on the main board inside the
computer. Attaching a non-Commodor xformer is easy as long as the secondary is rated at least 8 but not more than 12 vAC
@ 1.8 (or more) Amps. (8 volts min. due to the voltage drops across two of the diodes in the bridge rectifier and the voltage drop
across the regulator -- and -- 12 volts max. because that's the RMS value and the input (smoothing) capacitor sees the peak
value (it's rated @16 wvDC). I love experimenting, so, I took an old Radio Shack power xformer (it's secondary rated @ 18 vAC
center tapped @ 3 Amps), connected it to a full-wave rectifier using two 6 Amp power diodes and finally connecting that to the
power input of the Vic. Works like a champ!! Also found that the two pin end of a coffee pot power cord was a perfect fit!! Then
I discovered that a local electronics store had quite a few different sized two pin power cords for portable electronic equipment
-- one of which looked very promising. I hope this gets some of your creative juices flowing.

Until next time . . . . :idea:

Phil Potter
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

2 pin PSU

Post by TarkaTOtter »

Thank you

That is the sort of detail I wanted originally - know I understand what I can use ->
"long as the secondary is rated at least 8 but not more than 12 vAC
@ 1.8 (or more) Amps."

(RU a lecturer or teacher?)

Cheers Tarka
Clockmeister
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Clockmeister »

If that is the sort of detail you wanted originally, that is the sort of detail you should have asked for - originally :-)
Clockmeister.

Commodore and more...
http://www.users.on.net/~clockmeister
TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

@Clockmiester

Post by TarkaTOtter »

Hi

Yeah I guess I should have been more specific

(I'll take me out and smack me later)

No offense meant to anyone else who replied previously
:cry: