Gamebase V2.0 - how close is the release?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Gamebase V2.0 - how close is the release?

Post by Macguyver »

I see from the posts that Mayhem is making steady progress on the next release of the database. Between his hard work and all the contributions from everyone else - Xanadu, Arma, Sjakie43, Martin_f, Carlsson, Schema, and the many others, the question is, how goes the progress?

I've been working on transferring other TAPs that I've been nursing off the rare tapes I've come across and I'm looking forward to sending them for inclusion.

Is Version 2.0 approaching? Can the rest of us be of any help? I'd love to see a proper release done.

_________
Macguyver
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It's going hellishly slowly at the moment sadly. I'm in the middle of negotiating and sorting out a new house for starters. I'd say I'm about a third of the way through updating the entries so far. Having said that, I have added a LOT of content which has taken up some of the time. Scans, TAPs and the so forth.

I'm busy making a list of everything that doesn't seem to be working either.

My aim? To have what's currently there up to date as much as possible by the end of July. Then I will open things up for people to contributing anything that's missing.

Part of the problem is the fact that despite over 1,000 entries so far, there's still much left to put in. I just won a set of 16 tapes on eBay that are missing from the database completely, so that's 16 new entries that will be added at some point.

So, keep TAPing those tapes! I'll be interested in them in due course. Hopefully sooner than later. Sorry to disappoint people who were expecting it all done sooner, but real life has been impacting on me a lot more than I was expecting during 2005!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

Thanks for the update Mayhem. Good work!

It's exciting to hear about all the new entries that are being added to the next database, and I look forward to including a small amount of unique material to the collection when you're ready.

I was worried that "the ultimate Vic20 collection" would end up being too ambitious and never finished, especially since you seem to be doing much of the work yourself. I hope that you're able to get through the remainder smoothly. I understand all too well about real life impacting on digital archeology projects like this.

The sourcing, transferring, databasing, and testing of all of this software for the vic is an important project to ensure that this early sliver of computing history is preserved and cataloged for people to enjoy for years to come. Thank you for your careful and exhaustive work.

Macguyver
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Oh it's getting there, but as I said, when I took it on at the end of last year, I thought it would long up to date by now and we'd be taking in lots of new stuff and getting it out there. How wrong I was sadly.

I wanted to do this partly cos I'm on the GB64 team (and can talk with the guys there about any problems in the interface) and partly because I've developed the interest in getting Commodore's other machine as well documented as its big brother.

A task a lot harder though due to more stuff being lost in the mists of time...

And just yesterday ANOTHER two tapes arrived with games on missing from the database.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...