XU1541 USB Adaptor

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Diddl wrote:Yes you need a 5V supply. Either from cassette port or from a adapter.
This complicate things. :?
All in all, I think I will revert to my original idea: Notebook + USB cable (or LPT, I already have a XE1541 cable, but my netbook has no LPT port), and an appropriate software such as 64HDD. Time to buy a very old notebook... :wink:
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Or still a Final Expansion (FE3).

It is like a VIC Cartidge and with that you have 5V from VIC expansion slot. :D

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:
Diddl wrote:Yes you need a 5V supply. Either from cassette port or from a adapter.
This complicate things. :?
I think NKC sells also the power supply, just ask for the Italian power point.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'm looking for something more simple and less expensive, i.e. a method which would allow me to load programs from d64 images into a real VIC, and nothing more.

Both SD2IEC and FE3 have drawbacks for me:

- SD2IEC with its daughter board and the PSU take less space than a small notebook + XE1541 cable, but it's a "wired" solution nonetheless.
- 64HDD allows direct loading of d64 images, instead of all those complicated SD2IEC instructions (open etc etc).
- SD2IEC comes with no case, and it's quite expensive including the daughter board, its assemblage, and the PSU.
- FE3 has a lot of features which are more than I want, but the SD card functionality is an optional:
optional an Atmega644 and a SD card as a mass storage device (to replace a floppy device - SD2IEC).
- FE3 has no price yet, but I guess it won't be cheap :P .

A friend of mine can give me his old working notebook, so the "old way" configuration will be less elegant, but at zero cost for me. :wink:
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

FE3 already has a price (49€), WEB shop opens in one week, price already listed there: for8bits
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:oops: Thanks - I should have searched better. Comes in kit form though, and no SD card reader for that price, or I'm wrong? I'll wait for the October opening! :D
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

orion70 wrote::oops: Thanks - I should have searched better. Comes in kit form though, and no SD card reader for that price, or I'm wrong? I'll wait for the October opening! :D
You don't have SD card reader? Mine is from ALDI and was coming with 2GB SD card for 7€. I think you have ALDI also in Italy. In Region South Tirol I have seen some.

Speak with Ian, maybe he will solder a FE3 for you as for nbla000?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I mean: do the fully assembled FE3 have the SD card reader by default? Because, as I wrote, in their site it's stated that the FE3 comes with an optional incorporated SD card reader (to read d64 images from an SD, like the MMC64 does):
optional an Atmega644 and a SD card as a mass storage device (to replace a floppy device - SD2IEC).
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

No, seems to be a misunderstanding.

FE3 consist of a FE2 (without CD) and a fully working SD2IEC (connected to IEC Port) in one cartridge.

You can disable FE3 by holding CBM key while starting or by command OFF. But SD2IEC alway work as a normal IEC device (Floppy 8, 9 , 10 or 11).

---

optionally is only the LCD daughterboard for SD2IEC, which shows current mounted D64 file and some status.

optionally is also the battery for realtime clock. It prevent loss of time after power down.
Last edited by Diddl on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

It is a difference between MMC64 and SD2IEC in handling SD.

MMC64 has no connection to IEC port. Access to SD card is emulated in kernel. So compatibility is not so good but it is fast.

SD2IEC is connected by a IEC cable like a normal floppy device (1541). So SD2IEC has same bearing as a 1541 and nearly all is running fine like on a 1541 device.

SD2IEC gives a status "00-ok-00.00" if command was successful. You can send command like @I, @V or @S:filename to it. All programs which expect a floppy disk can work normally with SD2IEC. Games can save highscores or load game data etc.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Diddl wrote:FE3 consist of a FE2 (without CD) and a fully working SD2IEC (connected to IEC Port) in one cartridge.
OK, thanks for your patience with me not fully understanding all the features of this new hardware :D . Sounds like FE3 is good for me, even if it comes unassembled and does a lot more than I need. The price is OK for me.

One (more) question: whom should I ask to get my FE3 assembled?

Last question, after which I will eventually end up waiting for the shop to open in early October: the FE3 doesn't need any power supply, right?

I see many well known names in the credits screen of FE3! :wink:

Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

orion70 wrote:OK, thanks for your patience with me not fully understanding all the features of this new hardware :D . Sounds like FE3 is good for me, even if it comes unassembled and does a lot more than I need. The price is OK for me.
I enjoy to give you information

orion70 wrote:One (more) question: whom should I ask to get my FE3 assembled?
German law forbid to sell assembled devices. Not forbid but they make it very difficult and expensive.

But maybe you can find anyone who asemble it for you. Maybe Ian from denial? Cause he already assemble one for nbla000.

orion70 wrote:Last question, after which I will eventually end up waiting for the shop to open in early October: the FE3 doesn't need any power supply, right?
No, FE3 is a VIC cartridge and take power from VIC expansion port.

orion70 wrote:I see many well known names in the credits screen of FE3! :wink:
Yes, first firmware for FE1 was a modified version of well known XMENU. Later I took Easyload with Easywedge (modified).

Firmware grows bigger and bigger, but some code snippets are from Easyload yet.

FE3 firmware is open source and everyone can make it better if he want to help.

FE3 hardware is also open. everyone can build it if he want. But it is not so easy to order the correct items and it is easier with a PCB. So Nils sell it now for a (I think) very good price.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Diddl wrote:German law forbid to sell assembled devices. Not forbid but they make it very difficult and expensive.
If I understood correctly, anyone who sells electronic devices must have a way to handle and recycled the items once they are used up, and it is rather expensive to get a license for being part of the recycling system?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

carlsson wrote:If I understood correctly, anyone who sells electronic devices must have a way to handle and recycled the items once they are used up, and it is rather expensive to get a license for being part of the recycling system?
I'm not the expert, Nils knows that better than I.

But I think you must take back any old thing after selling an item. And you must give give a warranty for all problems which could occur.

If you sell a cooker you must take back and depollute another cooker if customer want this.

If your VIC will explode and destroy your house after using a FE3 customer can request a compensation for damages.

So it is nearly impossible for a small dealer to sell electronic devices.

Our "good" European Union only want big dealer, small dealer should give up their shop ... :evil:
The lobby use their influence to destroy small rivals and avoid new one ... :cry: