Denial Outlasts the VIC's Commercial Lifespan

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I keep hearing about this new 64 model, and I've been meaning to check it out. I'm just not done with my VIC yet...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

eslapion wrote:You guys like to compare the lifespan of the VIC to consoles.
I too find that a little strange. For me back in the Elder Days a console wasn't even on the horizon. I've never viewed the VIC as anything other than a computer that's also a great machine to play games on. That's the way I viewed (and still do) my C64 too. Back in those days as far as I was concerned consoles were for small kids and people who were too technologically inept to use a computer. I would have agreed completely with William Shatner: "Why buy just a video game?" :-)

Nowadays I've started to think that maybe it'd be a good idea to buy a console so I don't have to clutter the PC's hard drive with games, not to mention not having to keep a Windows partition on the drive.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I believe the comparison is more to do with the overall quality of the hardware rather than whether you can use BASIC or run an assembler (at least, that's how it started!).

Also, the people who currently design games for GBA/Atari 2600 et al. are a lot more than Fanboys. As far as I understand it, you have to be a very sharp programmer to design software for an embedded system.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Denial Outlasts the VIC's Commercial Lifespan

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Just an interesting note: Denial (as a newsletter) is now over 13 years in age, 5.5 years as a web forum. The web forum has now officially outlast the Vic's own lifespan. :D
Time to switch to a C64 like me 20 years ago :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

eslapion wrote:You guys like to compare the lifespan of the VIC to consoles.

OT: Hey eslapion, this is your 2000th post, welcome back :D
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I finally managed to find a decent forum for the Sega Game Gear -- SMSPower. All you have to do to design games for the SMS/GG is learn Z80 assembly language and mod an old cartridge to put in a flash card.

The Game Gear is a much neglected system. Off the top of my head, I find it hard to think of a GG game that isn't either a spruced up SMS game or a dumbed down MD game.

Given the advances in hardware, I think it would be interesting to see if the amount of battery power needed to run the GG could be reduced. Also, a long-term substitute for the highly fallible transistor chips would be a good thing. I don't have the technical knowledge for this, but it's food for thought for anyone who does.
theSmiths
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by theSmiths »

That's Just GREAT!
I just discovered this lovely forum
wish i had found it sooner...i have found some very interesting stuff
here to do with the Vic-20.

As far as the VIC-20 living on,that's so possible.
I myslef and backing up as much Hardware as possible.
Buying as much material as possible. power pack,tape deck..etc etc

I want my old VIC to last me a lifetime :)