New release: Carling the Spider

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

English Invader wrote:As far as I understand, you can either buy the game in packaged disk form or as a digital download. People who buy the premium edition are also given a web link to a ROM emulation of the game upon payment.
unfortunately I don't have the resources for international online payment :(
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

English Invader wrote:you can either buy the game in packaged disk form or as a digital download.
Yes. I bought the download form.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

You won't regret buying the Digital Download version. It's only £1.99...you can't even get a pint for that these days and this'll last a lot longer! It is a great wee game and the presentation is very slick...go on, go on, go on! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Waiting for the tape version......
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

bokvamme wrote:Waiting for the tape version......
Why do you prefer tape to floppy disk?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:Why do you prefer tape to floppy disk?
This question seems to come up on every Commodore forum and the answer is usually nostalgia. There's also a contingent of 64 users who rather like the music that plays while games are loading from tape. I find the phenomenon to be one of the more intriguing things about this hobby.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

In my case it's because I don't have a disk drive.
Also the tape takes up less space.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

I sent a small batch of recorded tapes to Kenz 1 or 2 weeks ago, he said he'll be getting them onto the website soon. I dare say a lot of the C64 releases of this summer will be keeping him busy! Also he told me he was obtaining his own VIC so maybe he wants to test each unit before he sends them out (I've already tested them all personally - both sides, PAL and NTSC, so effectively 4 copies of the game on each tape unit). NTSC users, if you've got a regular tapecounter on your datasette, NTSC is recorded at 040 on each side, thought that'd be a nice easy number to remember :wink: As it's an unexpanded VIC game there's no fancy custom loader, but you do get some info on-screen as it loads.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

English Invader wrote:
bokvamme wrote:Waiting for the tape version......
Why do you prefer tape to floppy disk?
I collect commodore tape games and never owned a disk drive in the pre Amiga years.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

Kenz has confirmed that the CTS tape will be available soon on the Psytronik blog.

http://psytronik.blogspot.com/

Did anyone finish the game yet? I was contemplating making a YouTube video to show how it's done.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

And I'll be buying a tape as well! I haven't completed it yet as I'm really terrible at games much as I love them... :(
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

jdxpolygon wrote:Kenz has confirmed that the CTS tape will be available soon on the Psytronik blog.

Did anyone finish the game yet? I was contemplating making a YouTube video to show how it's done.
I've got through all the game levels and got to the second level of difficulty. I often get caught on the last level, though. The tricky part is getting past the spikes and collecting all the diamonds because you can't get back up afterwards. By the time I've finally negotiated the last level, I only have one or two lives left for the second level of difficulty.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

English Invader wrote:
jdxpolygon wrote:Kenz has confirmed that the CTS tape will be available soon on the Psytronik blog.

I've got through all the game levels and got to the second level of difficulty. I often get caught on the last level, though. The tricky part is getting past the spikes and collecting all the diamonds because you can't get back up afterwards. By the time I've finally negotiated the last level, I only have one or two lives left for the second level of difficulty.
Not sure if you noticed, if you die on the 2nd or 3rd difficulty, when you play again you stay at the same difficulty and get the standard 4 lives. Unfortunately the score gets reset though.

I'm actually glad people are saying they find the game tough, as I was sure one of the main criticizms would be that it was too easy! Can't remember if I've already said that in this thread...

There's a marked increase in difficulty between the 2nd (Red) and 3rd (Yellow) skills, the 7th and 8th screens are particularly harsh, but after extended testing I can assure you, there is at least one way to do it... :)
Kenz
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kenz »

Good news everyone! Carling the Spider is now available on tape for the VIC-20 from Psytronik Software.

Click HERE for details!

8)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Ordered! :)