How Did You Learn Electronics?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Post subject: How Did You Learn Electronics?

Post by Commander#1 »

ASA? You old-timer! ;)

You should have let them train you! My MOS series was 33 (electronic warfare maintenance, now 35T), and the component-level training was killer. We did 22 weeks of theory (7 hours a day, 4.5 days a week) and 25 weeks of systems theory of operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance. Basically it was like an associate's degree without the humanities, but we got to break and fix everything from HF receivers to minicomputers and magnetic storage systems. I got through the school before it transitioned from component level maintenance to board level.
Bill

OUT - STANDING ! ! ! !

My MOS was 98J20 (electronic warfare equipment operator/signal analyst). My tour was from AUG. '65 to AUG. '69 -
the good times!! Boot was at Ft. Ord, Calif., initial training at Ft. Devens, Mass., and advanced training at Ft. Meade, Maryland.
Stationed at 12th Field Station (Kuma Station), Chitose, Japan (600 miles north of Tokyo). I just recently discovered that
a lot of the guys have been getting together at yearly reunions for the past 15 or so years. There are people from 1949
to 1972 (when the post was closed and moved across the 'straits to Misawa) showing up. A bunch of them went back
to visit on vacation in 1995. They took a lot of pic's and posted them on their web site. What a change!! And speaking of
change - ASA had it's name changed around 1975, but, it still does the same job.
How about you - when were you in - where were you stationed?? By nature and purpose, we are not high profile
people by any stretch of the imagination.

Phil Potter.

p.s.: Yeah - training. Sometimes we make some dumb decisions that we have to learn to live with. And sometimes they're
called Sally, Jesse, Barbara, etc., etc.,etc. . . . . . . . .
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !