Final Expansion :: 512KB SRAM + 512KB EEPROM + SD Card (2GB)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Can I get information on the "case" you're planning? I'm working on a mold for VIC cases, but I'd rather not duplicate effort.

Jim
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

brain wrote:Can I get information on the "case" you're planning? I'm working on a mold for VIC cases, but I'd rather not duplicate effort.
Great!

We've got a (limited of course) number of unused old cases. We are NOT working on a mold - so I highly appreciate your work and would be happy if I'd could buy new cases from you some day!

Our old cases need some work, since there's no slot for the SD-card and no holes for the keys. We'd like to offer this with a professionally printed label and all the mechanical works done. Finally, it should look like this: Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I just got a little more excited! :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

waiting to hear about being a Beta Tester ;-)
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

Vic20-Ian wrote:waiting to hear about being a Beta Tester ;-)
Please excuse the delay... Have been busy with tests and other things.
I'll send the order forms today :)

The parts listet below are the "Other parts". Thus you can compare prices.
Though you could get them at your local dealer, I highly recommend to take the ones I offer to make sure you'll get the right parts and they'll fit into the cartridge case!

Code: Select all

The parts listed below are the essential parts:

Part     Value                    Package      
ATF1504  IC4                      3M44        Programmed CPLD
CON1     SCDA5A0201               SCDA5A0201  Card-reader (push-in, push-out) by ALPS   
IC5      ATMEGA644                DIL40       Controller programmed with boot-loader, fuses set
IC6      LT1117CST-3.3            SOT223      3.3V voltage controller 

The parts listet below are the "Other parts":

Qty       Part           Value                    Package      
7         C1-5, C9-10    100nF                    C5B2.5       *** must be small caps! ***
2         C6-7           27pF                     C025-025X050 rcl
1         C8             22µF                     E2-4         *** tantal caps only! ***                 
3         D1-3           BAT85                    DO34-7       diode               
1         IC1            AM29F040N                DIL32-6      *** AM29F040B type only! ***
1         IC2            628512                   DIL32        SRAM 512KBx8
1         IC3            74LS245N                 DIL20        *** LS type only! ***
1         IC7            PCF8583P                 DIL08        I2C real time clock
1         JP1-12         Pin connector 1x40
5         JP1-12         Jumper
1         Q1             8 MHz                    HC49U-V      crystal             
1         Q2             32768 kHz                TC26H        crystal             
3         R1-3           3k3                      0207/10      Resistor 1/4W
5         R4-6, R8-9     1k8                      0207/10      Resistor 1/4W
3         R7, R10-11     10k                      0207/10      Resistor 1/4W
2         IC1,IC2        Socket                   DIL32-6      *** flat type only! ***
1         IC3            Socket                   DIL20        *** flat type only! ***
1         IC4            Socket                   PLCC44
1         JP2            MAS 60                   DIN IEC plug male, 6 pins
1         JP2                                     Shielded, high flexible cable for IEC, 3 wires+shld
2         T113A RT       Key red                  Reset CPLD+VIC20, Disk change - (Disk ch. optional)
1         T113A GE       Key yellow               Reset VIC20 only (optional)
1         T113A GN       Key green                Disk change + (optional)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Good news!

TLR has made a FE3.1 emulation in VICE!!! click
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I was hoping to see the FE in action last weekend, but the kit Zorro soldered together never did seem to work. He had sourced some chip from another to be able to update the firmware from SD, perhaps that chip was not properly programmed after all.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Yes bad news, it would be better Nils lend his soldered FE3 for Doreco. You live and learn ...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Big compliments on the assembly instructions. Despite being in German, I would with ease have followed them, in particular thanks to the very illustrative pictures.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

carlsson wrote:Big compliments on the assembly instructions. Despite being in German, I would with ease have followed them, in particular thanks to the very illustrative pictures.
In near future Nils will offer an english version also.

It is difficult for him cause he is a perfectionist ... :wink:
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Woo hoo! - beta kit is on the way should be here when on holiday to build it next week.

yesterday I took my Megacart to pieces to look at mounting the sd adaptor but this is now on hold.
Vic20-Ian

for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

carlsson wrote:I was hoping to see the FE in action last weekend, but the kit Zorro soldered together never did seem to work. He had sourced some chip from another to be able to update the firmware from SD, perhaps that chip was not properly programmed after all.
Zorro visited me today and we found and fixed the error and improved the build instructions to avoid this in future builds.

His SD-Card contained a partition table but the boot loader needs a FAT 16 formatted card without partition table.
Once we used a SD-Card with FAT 16 and no partition table, it flashed itself in seconds and since then, it runs!

Once SD2IEC's firmware is installed, it can handle cards with FAT32 too - FAT16 is only needed to install the firmware.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

for(;;) wrote:Zorro visited me today and we found and fixed the error and improved the build instructions to avoid this in future builds.

His SD-Card contained a partition table but the boot loader needs a FAT 16 formatted card without partition table.
Once we used a SD-Card with FAT 16 and no partition table, it flashed itself in seconds and since then, it runs!

Once SD2IEC's firmware is installed, it can handle cards with FAT32 too - FAT16 is only needed to install the firmware.
Hmm, the bootloader that Shadowolf modified and Unseen has on his web site supports partitions, although only the latest code I sent Unseen supports FAT32 filesystems.

In any event, I'd recommend using the newer bootloader, as it handles FAT32 and partitions.

Jim
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

brain wrote:Hmm, the bootloader that Shadowolf modified and Unseen has on his web site supports partitions, although only the latest code I sent Unseen supports FAT32 filesystems.
I used bootloader_LarsP_M644.hex from http://sd2iec.de/bootloader/sd2iec_boot ... +LarsP.zip
brain wrote: In any event, I'd recommend using the newer bootloader, as it handles FAT32 and partitions.
Thank you! Good news. I'll ask Unseen for the latest code.

edit 2008-08-07:

Jim Brain sent me the latest bootloader and I testet it both with FAT16/FAT32 and with/without partition table.
It works fine!

I've reprogrammed all the Atmels I already prepared so all FE3 kits beeing shipped from now on will use the new bootloader.

Thanks a lot for the code, Jim!
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Beta kit arrived today!

Very well packed, nicely presented and invoiced.

Circuit board looks high quality. Good high quality chip holders (turned pin type)

Looks very high quality overall and appreciate the "Nerve Food Gummi Bears for self builders"

Looking forward to building next few days.

Ian
Vic20-Ian