VIC-20 Registry?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

VIC-20 Registry?

Post by BBQedIguana »

I found on the Interwebs today (while surfing on my break) a 64 registry. Does such a beast exist for the VIC? Should it exist??

http://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=registry

I know those kinds of things are big amongst car collectors - does it translate well to the 8-bit computer world? Dunno...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Sounds like a good idea. There could even be separate registers for working and non-working VIC-20s with additional links to trusted repair services and guidance on repair procedures.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

i love the idea.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

If someone does it, it may need two serial number slots, one for case & one for motherboard. As my Vic-20's are frakenstiens.
In fact, there's c64 bits in my 20's, and I'm not the only one.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

matsondawson wrote:it may need two serial number slots, one for case & one for motherboard.
AFAIK the motherboard does not have its own serial number. At least I never noticed it.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Well, I can probably whip up a simple but nice registry pretty easily. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

It would be interesting to see which models are where in the world as I'm sure quite a few Vics have traveled the world! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Clockmeister
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Clockmeister »

English Invader wrote:Sounds like a good idea. There could even be separate registers for working and non-working VIC-20s with additional links to trusted repair services and guidance on repair procedures.
Excellent idea. I'm more then handy with a soldering iron if anyone in (Western) Australia needs their broken VIC-20/C64 looked at.
Last edited by Clockmeister on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clockmeister.

Commodore and more...
http://www.users.on.net/~clockmeister
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It's also a great way to track stolen VICs. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

ruud wrote:
matsondawson wrote:it may need two serial number slots, one for case & one for motherboard.
AFAIK the motherboard does not have its own serial number. At least I never noticed it.
Orange sticker on top of cart port metal surround.
At least on the two I just checked there is.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Jeff-20 wrote:It's also a great way to track stolen VICs. :lol:
:lol: Yeah, there is a really hot market for those. :wink:
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Okay, if I were to build this (couldn't on the weekend - and glad I didn't cause this question needs to be asked!), what kinds of things should I capture other than serial number? I don't think we should be asking people to open their VIC's to get any numbers from the inside. But from what I understand there were a few different VICs (per the Wiki)...

- Original monochrom logo versus new colour logo
- PET keys verus "normal" keys?
- beige function keys versus gray function keys
- 2 prong power versus DIN plug power

Should I be asking for this info (after maybe a very short intro that explains these differences)?

I should also put a simple captcha to keep the bots and goolies out of the database too. :)

Let me know what you think! I believe I have time this week to work on it.

Thanks,

Rick Towns
Barrie, Ontario, CANADA
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Sounds good to me. The more info that can be added the better as far as I'm concerned.

I also think there should be different entries for NTSC, PAL as well as VC 20's and VIC 1001's (not that there'll be many of those kicking around...). :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Excellent points! I'll include that info too! :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I've noticed that there are a lot of VC-20s in the UK (I personally own two and I've seen a lot more on eBay). At the same time, they seem to come in the standard UK packaging and look like they were bought in the UK (one box I have has a shop sticker that is clearly from an English electronics store).

Anyone have any additional info on this anomaly?