What is the definitive Vic Version of.......?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

DanSolo wrote:I thought this might be of interest to any Asteroids fans out there. By which I mean it'll make you :roll:
So the studio paid millions of dollars to be able to use the word "Asteroids" as the title for a movie? You'd think that's a generic enough name that if you wanted to make a space movie where the hero blows up asteroids you'd be able to call it Asteroids without paying a game company first. It's not as if they paid for the right to use the storyline or anything, because there isn't any.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps the combination of the word Asteroids and the context of a space ship shooting asteroids apart is under some trademark or whatever legal mumbo-jumbo could be applied here.

I think someone should do a movie about the scientific theory that life on Earth is only a computer simulation. Some researchers has put forward a long line of arguments that we may not exist for real, we may all only be part of a giant super computer simulation outside the Universe. One of the arguments is that if you divide time into the smallest possible unit, it still moves one whole step at a time, not continuously floating as time would in a perfect real world.

It may sound insane, but a movie about humans trying to save the planet by destroying asteroids.. then in the end it zooms out and turns out the whole movie was inside a computer game. Game Over. Insert coin to play again.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

carlsson wrote:It may sound insane, but a movie about humans trying to save the planet by destroying asteroids.. then in the end it zooms out and turns out the whole movie was inside a computer game. Game Over. Insert coin to play again.
That all sounds a bit Tron/Matrix to me. I'll call my lawyer. :lol:
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

... a perfect real world.
Pleasantville? Stepford Wives?

Yeah, it cannot be just for rights to have a specific word in a published title, ala Word and Windows might be a bigger problem (than it is). :roll:

One of their reply posters did suggest they use the game as a test to find a uniquely skilled pilot to take on a real threat -- along the same vein as The Last Starfighter -- other than that, it's all so ho-hum.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing