Mega-Cart

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

gklinger wrote:Is anyone using their Mega-Cart with JiffyDOS? I encountered some weirdness when JD is enabled but not when I'm using the standard kernal.
I am, but I have been using my Mega-Cart exclusively for playing games and haven't noticed any problems. What weirdness have you seen? I could try to reproduce it.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Also would that be JiffyDOS with a plain reset or with the EasyLoad+ installed on top? I suppose the latter would not really be required as JD contains both a wedge, fast loader and other goodies.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Schema wrote:I am, but I have been using my Mega-Cart exclusively for playing games and haven't noticed any problems. What weirdness have you seen? I could try to reproduce it.
If I drop to BASIC, expanded or not, and start typing, the machine will inevitably lockup. When playing games loaded from the M-C, no lockups.

carlsson wrote:Also would that be JiffyDOS with a plain reset or with the EasyLoad+ installed on top?
Without.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

gklinger wrote:
Schema wrote:I am, but I have been using my Mega-Cart exclusively for playing games and haven't noticed any problems. What weirdness have you seen? I could try to reproduce it.
If I drop to BASIC, expanded or not, and start typing, the machine will inevitably lockup. When playing games loaded from the M-C, no lockups.
I know you promised to superglue your MC to your Vic-20 :lol:
If you have not glued them together, I am assuming that you do not get this error when MC is removed.

The behaviour is very strange since selecting Vic-20 unexpanded mode essentially disables MC and you have stock Vic-20 (with JiffyDos).
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been programming with the cart in. No problems. Unexpanded, of course.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

After further testing I'm quite convinced the problem is related to the JD installation rather than the M-C.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

I got my Mega-Cart (#0080) last week.
Overall I'm very impressed with it. Lot's of fun stuff in there. :)
The menu system is great!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Also would that be JiffyDOS with a plain reset or with the EasyLoad+ installed on top? I suppose the latter would not really be required as JD contains both a wedge, fast loader and other goodies.
Yes EasyLoad+ may interfere with JiffyDOS, at least with Turbo enabled but I think you may use EasyLoad along with JiffyDOS if you disable turbo (Just Press F5) btw for this "problem" you must select EasyLoad or hold F7 on boot but if you start the Mega-Cart by holding F1, you get a Vic Unexpanded without nothing else so it must work.
tlr wrote:I got my Mega-Cart (#0080) last week.
Overall I'm very impressed with it. Lot's of fun stuff in there. :)
The menu system is great!
Thank you very much, i worked very hard for the menu and I'm happy that you like it.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

GreyGhost wrote:Got mine today (serial #0083). Great work guys. Wonder how big this thing would have been back in the 80's. Would have probably needed a cooling fan too. :D

Again great work!!

Later,
Getting excited now, had mine confirmed as #93 so cant be long till mine either gets here or is sent out :)

Just need to convince the wife that the 42 inch TV needs a Vic hooking up to it :)
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

well there is a parcel at the post office for me, cant think of anything else I have on order :) good job I have a day off tomorrow
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

The capacitor in the 555 reset circuit within your Vic-20 is out of tolerance (not suprising for a 25+ year old device).
During testing, gklinger helped to identify this issue.

I replaced the faulty capacitor in his Vic-20 and problem was solved.
Works great on both VIC 20s -- a big thank you!!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

No. 97 arrived......thinking of a mod

Post by Vic20-Ian »

No. 97 has arrived safe and sound Saturday morning on the sunny Isle of Man.

After a bit of a play I found some easter eggs including the dodgy pic ;-)

Another tinker and a bit of frustration - Easy load would not work with my uIEC. Switching off turbo got it working. Is there a way to default to non turbo mode?

I love the product but there are some key games missing for me like Jetpac, Perils of Willy and Star Defence.

Is anyone else interested in customising Mega Cart? I love the menu structures and auto start options but would like to make some favourite games autoload from the rom. Is there a way to back the original image up and then edit it & write new titles to it? e.g. lose the extras demos etc and add a few key tape images.

A second thought is that I would quite like to do away with the uIEC dangling around so am thinking of adding it into the Megacart case. I am sure it could be done nicely with drive cable coming out of one side and the sd card slot accessible with cartridge plugged in to change cards if needed.

Any thoughts?

Brian, I have to say this is a first class product and I am very pleased with it and recommend it to every Vic owner. Well done to you and all the team.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I had my Megacart at computer party this weekend, I am sure there will be few orders more from Finland soon :P

http://picasaweb.google.fi/Mikam73/Peli ... jaiset2009#
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

I suspect Jetpac was missed off for the simple reason Ultimate (who are now known as Rare) will not allow any site to carry any of their old IP. They still see every game as a possible remake (like Jet Pac on the 360)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: No. 97 arrived......thinking of a mod

Post by nbla000 »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Another tinker and a bit of frustration - Easy load would not work with my uIEC. Switching off turbo got it working. Is there a way to default to non turbo mode?
Yes this is the only way to work with it at the moment, maybe in the future if uIEC will add EasyLoad support it can work with turbo but you need to press F5 to disable turbo at the moment.
I love the product but there are some key games missing for me like Jetpac, Perils of Willy and Star Defence.
I opened a public thread to ask user which game they want on Mega-Cart but none of these games was suggested, sorry.

Is anyone else interested in customising Mega Cart? I love the menu structures and auto start options but would like to make some favourite games autoload from the rom.
Yes you may autoload a game from the rom.
Select the game, then reset the vic by holding the "6" key, now when you switch-on or reset your Vic with Mega-Cart, it always starts your last selected game.
To return to the normal menu just hold "0" key on boot/reset.

Take a look here for further info:
http://www.mega-cart.com/boot-keys/

Is there a way to back the original image up and then edit it & write new titles to it? e.g. lose the extras demos etc and add a few key tape images.
No you need a custom version, maybe when we finished the order queue.

A second thought is that I would quite like to do away with the uIEC dangling around so am thinking of adding it into the Megacart case. I am sure it could be done nicely with drive cable coming out of one side and the sd card slot accessible with cartridge plugged in to change cards if needed.
I thought on a similar solution with Brian but again we need to finish the order queue before new ideas :wink:

Well done to you and all the team.
Thank you.

Mikam73 wrote:I had my Megacart at computer party this weekend, I am sure there will be few orders more from Finland soon :P
Thank you very much, very nice set-up :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.