How do I remove the power LED from the VIC?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

wood_jl
Vic 20 Newbie

How do I remove the power LED from the VIC?

Post by wood_jl »

I am going to "Retr0brite" my VIC and make it snow-white again. I have done this process on three yellowed Atari XL-series 8-bitters and the results are stunning!!!

I disassembled, washed/cleaned/re-assembled my C64, but I have not done this to the VIC yet. I am assuming - judging by looks alone - that the VIC is identically constructed; I sure hope the keyboard comes apart the same way as the C64, etc.

However, I was not able to get the power LED out of the C64. I washed the case with it in, then I left it for a whole day in front of a powerful fan, in a hot room. I assumed this would be enough to dry partially-trapped water around the LED. It worked.

But now, I want to do the Retr0brite Peroxide/Oxy/Glycerin/UV treatment, and I don't want to pack this goop all over my LED. But I could not figure out how to get it out on the 64, hence I have the same problem. I took needlenose pliers and squeezed on the black plastic, thinking it snapped in, but all I did was loosen it a little (unfortunately) and I quit before I destroyed something.

Anybody who knows how to do this, I would very much appreciate your thoughts. Otherwise, I'll just peroxide it and hope it works!

Anybody else done the Retr0brite on their VIC? If the Atari's are any indication, a snow-white VIC is in my immediate future!!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think one of mine was actually glued in there. I removed it by mistake once on my very first VIC. Just applied a lot of pressure to the top side and the bulb didn't break, but I had to hold it in place with tape from then on. :(
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: How do I remove the power LED from the VIC?

Post by ruud »

wood_jl wrote:But I could not figure out how to get it out on the 64
On the inside of the case is a little plastic ring, 3 mm high. Pull it of. Then push firmly on the LED from the outside. Should be doable with a finger otherwise use a little piece of wood. Then push the black LED holder out by pushing from the inside. But first squeeze the four little plastic parts that held the LED together.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com