VICUAL MMIX - new unexpanded VIC20 demo

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

If this is PAL, then i want to see a YouTube of it on real hardware.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

Jeff-20 wrote:If this is PAL, then i want to see a YouTube of it on real hardware.
I'm 99% sure the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhfuSPg3kXQ Anders created is from an actual VIC20. Just make sure you get the higher-quality .mp4 version, although even that loses to the real machine.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Err, despite the horribly bad quality the video I already uploaded is captured from my own PAL VIC-20CR. At a later point I may try to move that video capture card to my main, barebone PC. It is a bit crammed though. Desk space limits me from putting up two full width tower PCs next to eachother.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

Outstanding demo, it had me mezmerized :D
The only way to program better is to find a better programmer. - Legacy 2009
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

saehn wrote:Please make an NTSC version. :-)
I have hacked a NTSC version of the demo. NTSC has few problems in how horizontal position and columns relate to each other. Some parts are not pretty. I have to check how the demo looks like in an actual NTSC machine.
saehn wrote:I especially like your fonts.
The fonts are actually created for VIC20, they are not ports from C64 fonts. Originally the multicolor versions (VIMM and VIMMII) were created on Deluxe Paint on Amiga, and fine-tuned with Gimp on freebsd. Well, the font in the last part was more or less completely redone in Gimp.

The fonts were also optimized to use as little memory as possible. You can notice this in "F" in the intro, and "G" in the last part if you know what to look for.
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

a1bert wrote:I have hacked a NTSC version of the demo.
The NTSC version is now on the web ( http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/Pu-239/vicual-mmix/ ). Unfortunately the horizontal positioning in NTSC machines gives me grief and colscr and credits parts are not as good as they are in a PAL VIC20.

In PAL the horizontal positions 0 to 4 go beyond the active area on the left to allow hiding part of the screen (2.5 characters), but in NTSC you can only hide half a char by using 0.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Anyone remember the moment in 'Half Baked' when Dave Chappelle's character ran into the vault of 'medical use' weed?
I just had one of those moments...
Awesome work man :)
Learning all the time... :)