Hot Vic?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

zektor
Vic 20 Newbie

Hot Vic?

Post by zektor »

Hi all! First post in the forum :)

I recently got ahold of a Vic that needed quite a bit it work. After cleaning what seemed to be paint specs all over the casing and adjusting the pots carefully for over an hour to get correct color, it displays a very nice, clean and colorful picture.

One thing tho...this Vic seems to get pretty hot after awhile! The heat is coming from directly beneath the cart port...from under the heat sync looking metal. This is probably normal, but I do not remember my Vic when I was younger getting this hot?
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Welcome to Denial!!!

If your unit has 9VAC (two prong) power supply, it is normal for a fair bit of heat to be felt around upper right corner of Vic-20.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
zektor
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zektor »

6502dude wrote:Welcome to Denial!!!

If your unit has 9VAC (two prong) power supply, it is normal for a fair bit of heat to be felt around upper right corner of Vic-20.
Yup, exactly what I have and what I am experiencing. Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the welcome as well! I only found out that Denial after I pre-ordered the Megacart. One website led to another and here I am :) I have to comment that the hardware support section of the forums is quite interesting!

When I originally started working on the Vic, the colors were horrible. I read about the pot adjustments and got it to work better. Actually, there is another screw-knob next to the two adjustable pots (I am talking about the mainboard type with the RF shield cover that has to be removed). That screw when adjusted moved the colors from the odd green border that it was showing when I received it back to the normal blue.

The screw knob that I am referring to is to the right of the two white pots, and usually has a little blop of yellow paint on it. It is a VERY sensitive adjustment, and took a long time to get right. Most of the time it'll display a black and white screen until you get it into the correct position. I am willing to bet that more than half the "black and white screen" issues I read about could be corrected with this little screw knob :)