Netbooks as cross-development Platform

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

brighty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by brighty »

Legacy wrote:I was thinking about getting the EEE myself, looks like a nice little machine.
I just have the original EEE PC-4G, as they were selling them off cheap here in Australia for $299. It's ideal for the restricted space on the train, with good battery life and a usable keyboard. I've been more than happy with it. The built in MMC/SD card slot is a big bonus these days too :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I had one for a wee while before I upgraded to the Dell Mini 9. It's a great machine and is really pretty versatile. I recommend it as a very portable dev system. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

You should post some pics :)
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I have an EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeePC 4G too, but I've tossed out the factory installed Linux distro and stuck an Eeebuntu Base Install in there instead. As Pedro Lambrini said, it's a great little dev system, and it runs VICE without problems, especially if you overclock the processor to 900MHz.

I made some changes to the VICE source code to make the C64, C128, and VIC 20 screens fit better on the small screen by reducing the top and bottom borders in the emulators. I'll see if I can find out how to make a patch and publish it here.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Bacon wrote: I'll see if I can find out how to make a patch and publish it here.
Yes please, netbook users (not only of eeePCs) would be grateful. :wink:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been thinking of going with the ipod touch for my light internet needs. (not the phone because i don't need the camera or monthly phone service fees).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I have a 7" Eee PC and can't for my life imagine using it for programming. The keyboard is small enough for lazy surfing and typing the occasional forum message, but I would quickly go insane if I tried to develop software. Perhaps I'm not just used to it.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I've used it for some Python programming and recently 6502 cross-dev. After a while the small keyboard becomes a non-issue, at least it did for me.

And by choosing small fonts for the system and using a space-saving desktop theme the 7'' screen doesn't feel too cramped either.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

I was thinking , you get the Eee and a usb wireless account with sprint and its just as good as a phone, add bluetooth hooked up to magic jack and $60 a month for 5gb of bandwidth, you could be totally mobile and VICE on that baby would be like a mobil command station able to take on anything you threw at it! Sorry for getting off of the main subject Qbert, I made a level in a video game once with 'Slick' remember him, that cool little green guy with glasses, he was Q-Berts friend, I don't know what he did, but he was very cool!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220441

also, slick is on the bottom

The only way to program better is to find a better programmer. - Legacy 2009
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Get one of these...

Link

Link
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

WTF! Why don't people tell me about these things?!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:WTF! Why don't people tell me about these things?!
Dude, I just did. :lol:

P.S. Don't forget this.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

gklinger wrote:P.S. Don't forget this.
The commodore logo is extra sexy, and by my vision it looks like a VIC 20 color scheme on the keyboard and case.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Is there any retailer in the world carrying those Commodore netbooks, or are they only conceptual works?

My choice of editor font by the way is anders.fon (works at least in Windows).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

Jeff-20 wrote:WTF! Why don't people tell me about these things?!
LOL now I want one!

Mike, how you gonna put a thread about notebook pc's in the programming section? My post HAS QBERT IN IT.....
The only way to program better is to find a better programmer. - Legacy 2009