Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mikam73
2049er

Here we go again...

Post by Mikam73 »

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

lord have mercy, the first two were pretty insane prices.

but if you have lots of money, i guess those crazy prices don't look crazy.

perhaps mayhem will clarify :)

chris
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

vic user wrote:lord have mercy, the first two were pretty insane prices.

but if you have lots of money, i guess those crazy prices don't look crazy.

perhaps mayhem will clarify :)

chris
$483US between this weeks 2 boxed and last weeks 2 unboxed Cyclon and Crater Raider Carts alone! Wonder what his yearly budget for games is? Does he live at home still with his parents? :wink:

Hats off to ya Mayhem for the deep pockets and a great collection you must have! Any plans for a UK Classic Cartridge Museum? :D

Brian
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

One of those complete Boone carts was a bit weird because it went for less than I paid for the 2 loose ones I have currently sitting in my hands!

(I'm currently on holiday in the US, but like that stops my bidding! The carts went to my friend to avoid import duty and I'll be bringing them back with me next week)

As for the complete AMC, that was half the price I paid for the other copy I have of it (the one that has the wrong manual inside!).

Though of course there is also the $167 for the Mobile Attack cart (also in my hands currently).

When you've got over $50k savings, then you can afford to push the boat a bit ;)

True, I do still live at home for now, but not for free. I pay my way. I also have a high earning job to help. But I will be moving soonish... as soon as I find somewhere value-for-money and with enough space to accommodate a proportion of what I own...

As always what I own Vic20 wise can be viewed here:

http://62.168.142.47/~mayhem/images/vic20games.xls
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Mayhem wrote:One of those complete Boone carts was a bit weird because it went for less than I paid for the 2 loose ones I have currently sitting in my hands!

(I'm currently on holiday in the US, but like that stops my bidding! The carts went to my friend to avoid import duty and I'll be bringing them back with me next week)

As for the complete AMC, that was half the price I paid for the other copy I have of it (the one that has the wrong manual inside!).

Though of course there is also the $167 for the Mobile Attack cart (also in my hands currently).

When you've got over $50k savings, then you can afford to push the boat a bit ;)

True, I do still live at home for now, but not for free. I pay my way. I also have a high earning job to help. But I will be moving soonish... as soon as I find somewhere value-for-money and with enough space to accommodate a proportion of what I own...

As always what I own Vic20 wise can be viewed here:

http://62.168.142.47/~mayhem/images/vic20games.xls
In your situation I'd do the same! Someday as my collection becomes closer to completion I know I'll pay more for them missing pieces too!

Would be great having enough room to show and play the collections as a shrine to retro gaming :D

How far from completion is your Vic-20 cart collection now?
Brian
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What DO you do for work? Are you a DRUG LORD? I am a professor and I can't get my hands on any of this stuff.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Jeff-20 wrote:What DO you do for work? Are you a DRUG LORD? I am a professor and I can't get my hands on any of this stuff.
As he said "he lives at home but pays his share of living costs there" which still translates to a higher than average disposible income to bank and spend.

Hell even if I lived on my own in a apartment I would have much more disposible income. But we all know a mortgage, utilities, food, 2 cars, insurances, saving for retirement, kids, clothing, house renovations/additions, etc etc sucks the crap out of us :(

13 Years ago after college I stayed home for a year paying 25% of my income to my parents for room and board and still paid cash for a new car and furnished my aprartment and had lots of cash to spend :D

I just wished I had hobbies back then like I do now to be able to do what Mayhem is doing now :wink:

Gotta go and try fix the broken washing machine now,
Brian
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I work for HP and do oncall work as well; last year's pay was over $60k (before tax). Admitedly more impressive if I actually lived in the US as the cost of living there is a lot lower than it is in and around London where I am.

As for the Vic20 cart collection itself, I figure I'm at about the 75% mark game wise. I still need around 50 carts I think, based on my last tally through. I've got none of the OEM stuff for example, so they are probably the last frontier for scouring about. Them and some of the other 8/9 rarity stuff like Droids and Baldurs Castle.

Onwards and upwards... and of course I'll be saving the spare Boone carts I now have (assuming the carts in the sealed versions work fine) for trade bait to get some real rare shit in return...

Btw Jeff, whereabouts in Chicago are you? I'm currently typing this out about an hour south of the city in a small town called Tinley Park.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

So basically per year you set aside 2-3% of your savings for your hobby?

Re: Jeff, isn't it so that the academic world is the least paid for people with similar skills? At least it tends to be over here, maybe US universities are better at matching the private business sector.

Re: completion, I suppose it relates only to the known and verified cartridges, so as soon as a vaporware or otherwise unknown cartridge surfaces, it is time for the die-hard collector to bring the wallet again (if it is for sale).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well I've got two vapourware carts (as of when Ward was doing the list) in my collection : Key Quest by Tymac and Frogman by OEM.

So erm... duh... forget my above statement, I DO have an OEM game in my collection. A previously unknown one until a couple of months ago!

Sadly with no way to dump them out... I would like to, but there isn't anything for the Vic20 that allows it as easily as on the C64 (just go see my site to witness that archiving part).

As for how much I spend on this hobby, really depends what comes up. Last year had a smallish spike due to the Ultima: Mount Drash, this year I've bought not only these carts so far, but a bunch of complete C64 Synapse games for example.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mayhem wrote:Btw Jeff, whereabouts in Chicago are you? I'm currently typing this out about an hour south of the city in a small town called Tinley Park.
I live downton in the Gold Coast. I work right in the Loop (center downtown across the street from the Chicago theater, those big flashing letters that read Chicago vertically). If I had my Vic set up, I'd invite you over for a game session this weekend. How long are you in town?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'm off home on Sunday, but pretty much got the rest of my time here "allocated" to various plans except for the day home itself. I'd also have no real way to get up there without going with the friend I'm staying with. Much that she is into games herself, she's having to work some hours during my time as she can't afford to have the whole week off (hence currently I'm typing this alone in the flat!).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Are BRITS snoggin' my Chicagoan women now?! :lol:

BTW C, Professors are paid based on their resumes... I don't have any complaints about my salary although everyone wants more.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear that now I am home, that the expensive cartridges all work fine on my machine ;)

Mobile Attack is quite like the old arcade Targ, not a bad play indeed. Just need a way to dump the cart out. Cyclon is already out there I think, not sure about Crater Raider. That is like Pitfall but in space!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, like Cuthbert in Jungle but in space, but not Cuthbert in Space? :roll:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image