When Did You Get Your First VIC-20 (Part II)

Discuss anything related to the VIC

When did you get your first VIC-20?

5%
30%
18%
10%
5%
3%
3%
1988 or later.
28%
I don't have a VIC-20.
No votes

Total votes: 40

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:So, what did you think when you first switched it on? Was it a culture shock for you after being active on the C64 for such a long time?
Not as much as you might suspect. A good mate of mine in the first year when I started secondary school (1985) had a Vic20 still so I got to play a fair few games on it when I visited his house. So by the time 17 years later I got my own hardware I knew most of the basics: the concept of the memory expansions, that most general hardware from the C64 would work on it fine, that the screen didn't blank when searching for and loading games heh.

Naturally some of the earliest titles I tracked down to buy and play were the Vic20 equivalents of the Llamasoft games...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

I don't remember exactly, but was in september or octuber 1982.
Was my first computer.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

My very own VIC I finally got in 2004. I started using the babysitter's in 1983, however.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

pitcalco wrote:My very own VIC I finally got in 2004. I started using the babysitter's in 1983, however.
Why the wait? It seems like quite a gap between 1983 and 2004! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

1982, and turned 17 later that year. I was destined to write Dark Tower for some micro computer at the time, having learned BASIC at my high school's computer math course.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:
pitcalco wrote:My very own VIC I finally got in 2004. I started using the babysitter's in 1983, however.
Why the wait? It seems like quite a gap between 1983 and 2004! :)

Don't worry. Through the 80's I certainly had a lot of friends from which to borrow a VIC for a few weeks or months at a time. Nobody was in a rush to get them back, either. Besides, I was also busy with my Atari, and later a C-64. Now I've gone back to my roots with the VIC.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

amramsey wrote:
Bacon wrote:...and probably two white Commodore joysticks (could have come later, I'm not sure).
Oh man, I had one of those joysticks too. Those things were absolutely terrible! Ended up with a Wico later on and never looked back.... until now I suppose. :lol:
Yep, Commmodore didn't know how to make joysticks - I have a couple of Plus/4 joysticks to prove it.

Coming to think of it, I probably only had one joystick for the VIC 20. Two sticks wouldn't have made much sense with a computer with only one game port. When we bought a C64 and sold the VIC and all accessories we bought a QuickShot joystick which was almost as bad, but then we fianlly bought a Wico bat stick - the best joystick I've ever used. I have two of them again and I love them.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

For that matter, there appears to have been more peripherals Commodore didn't know how to make. Floppy disks come to my mind. I remember some test of different brands and those Commodore labeled ones were the far worst at its time (c:a 1984). Later batches may have been better.

Since some of those joysticks very much resemble other brands, I wonder if Commodore didn't just get them made on an OEM contract, possibly also floppies, tapes, printer paper and so on. Still they should've been able to input something about the quality of things.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

I had been thinking all along that I got my VIC-20 on Christmas morning 1982, but I'm beginning to doubt my memory. I think it must have been 1983 because I'd been using my neighbour's for quite some time.

Anyhow, that morning I got:

A VIC-20 2-pronger with 64-style grey function keys
included with it were:
- a Commodore duffel bag
- a velvety Commodore binder with notebook and pencil case and other bindery kind of things

A 1530 Datasette

And that's it. I don't think I got my first game or joystick until at least Easter, or maybe my birthday in June.
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Ian Colquhoun wrote:A VIC-20 2-pronger with 64-style grey function keys
included with it were:
- a Commodore duffel bag
- a velvety Commodore binder with notebook and pencil case and other bindery kind of things
I think that was the 'back to school' bundle Commodore Canada put together. Blue duffel bag with white writing, binder that looks like a computer and a white pencil case. Great idea really because it meant kids with VIC-20s could easily spot other VIC-20s owners to facilitate piracy. :)

Related trivia: They had a French version of the binder too. I got one a few years ago and passed it along to eslapion.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

I thought that kit was great when I got it. I never used the bag for school, but it did make a great transportation device for my VIC. I used to lug it around to friends' houses, and off to the cottage in the summer time. Unfortunately I tried to jam too much stuff into it one day and split it wide open. Ah well...
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)