I just ordered a uIEC/SD

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I will need to get my hands on an SD card. My laptop is crazy. After all the trouble with my SD card. I took the xD card out of my camera, and the laptop will not read that! It shows a pretty little xD icon that when clicked produces the message "Please insert a disk in Drive H:"

:evil:
It makes no sense at all! Once again, Windows, you fail me!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

gklinger wrote:Slightly OT: I'm surprised that most people are buying the smaller models even if they don't intend to embed them. The full size unit seems easier to deal with and generally more flexible.
I thought the smaller uIEC/SD was the only one Jim currently had for sale? Or that he actually has parts for the uIEC/CF and uIEC/IDE but none assembled.

Jeff: What happened with that eBay auction, did you get cold feet? It has been reported the uIEC works with at least up to 16 GB cards so the only caveat would be if the PC card reader would handle the 8 GB card included in the auction. The memory card reader built into your laptop doesn't seem worth much, or perhaps is badly installed.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

carlsson wrote: I thought the smaller uIEC/SD was the only one Jim currently had for sale? Or that he actually has parts for the uIEC/CF and uIEC/IDE but none assembled.
Did I give that impression? My apologies if so. I have both in stock. I surmised that many preferred the SD format and the option to embe at a later time.

Jim
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I plan on using mine externally until the next commodore get-together when I can bribe someone to install it internally. I would have a copy cat of Schema's VIC.

I couldn't find a cheap SD card over 1GB. This is the best I have found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0341787587

Would this work? Something about it doesn't seem right. Isn't that a mini-reader? It doesn't look like it should work with that 8GB card. This is a very poor item description. I wanted to order tonight, but now I don't feel very confident.

Would 8GB be enough to bulk up on most of the VIC games? I would love to have a million type-ins at my fingertips. What would you think the size of the entire VIC type-in and tape library would be in GBs?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:Would this work?
I'm positive it would.
Something about it doesn't seem right. Isn't that a mini-reader? It doesn't look like it should work with that 8GB card.
That picture isn't to scale. :)
Would 8GB be enough to bulk up on most of the VIC games?
I'd be surprised if you needed more than 4GB and even a 1 or 2GB card would probably suffice. I'm sure you could pick up a 2GB SD card for less than $10 because I bought several 4GB cards for that much last month. As for a USB card reader, I've got a half dozen spare ones here (I swear they're multiplying on their own). If you want one I'll toss it in the mail tomorrow. Heck, if you want an SD card too I'll donate one to the cause. They're piling up too.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks! I'd feel more confident buying from someone I know so I can be sure it will work with my new toy. I can paypal you.
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I should repeat this you can fit over 6000 floppy disk images in 1GB.

If you used one floppy each hour it would take 250 days to use them all. So you are pretty safe with that size.

If you had a 8GB drive then your time is extended to over 2000 days or 5 years.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Also consider the SD card is not permafixed into the device. If you decide to use it as a hard drive, you will be able to swap memory cards every once in a while. If you rather use it as a transfer device for testing purposes etc, even a 16 MB card will do fine. :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image