**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I really like what you are doing, good luck!

Perhaps when my software sprite project matures more, it may be worth integrating in your RPG for some animated effects, i.e., casting magic, throws, death sequence, etc. It is designed to be somewhat transparent for VIC and program code/data.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

rhurst wrote:I really like what you are doing, good luck!

Perhaps when my software sprite project matures more, it may be worth integrating in your RPG for some animated effects, i.e., casting magic, throws, death sequence, etc. It is designed to be somewhat transparent for VIC and program code/data.
Thanks! I'll check out your sprite program. Just to let you know, I'm very grateful with your helping me out setting up the ca65 and da65 dev environment on my computer.

An explanation of the previous screen shot: the bottom 2/3 of the screen will be used to display scrolling text, the top left will be for the map, dungeon and monster graphics during battles and the top right gives a listing of the 6 player characters.

1800 bytes in and 14+ hours of straight coding now. I just finished programming the magic items. Here's a teaser of the special items that appear in the game:

Code: Select all

;BYTE  123456789012345678901
	.byte 0				;blank
	.byte "BOOTS OF ELVENKIND",0
	.byte "CROWN OF MIGHT",0	;(F)
	.byte "GAUNTLET OF THIEVING",0	;(T)
	.byte "RING INVISIBILITY",0
	.byte "RING PROTECTION",0
	.byte "RING REGENARATION",0
	.byte "BOOK OF WIZARDRY",0	;(W)
	.byte "ROD OF RESURRECT.",0	;(P)
	.byte "WAND OF FIRE",0		;(W)
	.byte "WAND OF LIGHTNING",0	;(W)
I think I'll stop coding for the rest of the day. I think I should be able to trim quite a bit of code (there is repetition in quite a few sections) but I will save that for the end. I just want to focus on making a game that will work (it is my first 100% ML game).
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I worked on font and title screen graphics today:

Image Image
Last edited by Ghislain on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I think I respond way to often to my own thread...

But here's a screenshot of the splash screen:

Image Image
Last edited by Ghislain on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I think I respond way to often to my own thread...
I don't think so! You are obviously showing us excellent progress. I enjoy watching the seeds grow into something, and hopefully, it blooms at the end! Keep up the excellent work.

I wrote an RPG MUD and have ported from Apple ][ BASIC to DOS to Amiga C and finally to Linux. I would be very interested in how you implement your battle system and experience/level tables.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Ghislain wrote:I think I respond way to often to my own thread...

But here's a screenshot of the splash screen:
Like that splash screen....very Ultima. Somehow I imagine the red on those letters being animated to look like the letters are filling up with lava.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I like the splash screen as well. Very 'fantasy' - and professional!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

So now I'm at a point where I have to draw the graphics. Drawing the Ultima-style graphics for landscape and monsters in 8x8 should be easy enough, I've done it before.

However, I have enough room to create about 34 small bit-mapped graphics. These will be 40x40 pixels each. Remember games like Pool of Radiance and Bard's Tale that would show a preview of the monster that you were about to fight? I'd like to do something like that--I need to draw 24 monsters plus other "in-context" graphics (such as The Inn at the start of the game, shop keeper, special events etc).

Now, I could design my own program that lets me draw a 40x40 pixel image. But what I'd like to do is speed up this process--say if I take a drawing I did or even an image from the web, and then I manipulate it a bit, convert it to monochrome and then into 40x40.

How do I turn this image into a Commodore bitmap graphics Specifically something like this:

; image of goblin
.byte %00100000,%00001000,%11100000,....

...you get the idea. (it could be decimal or hex, it doesn't matter... as long as I have something numerical--I can always "massage" the raw data and make it "Commodore-friendly")

Now, I could just go ahead and continue to write the program and "worry about this later" but I'm a stickler of being able to see what my game looks like as I keep working.

Thanks for everyone's positive comments and encouragement so far.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just thought it over and what I'm going to do is write a program that draws 20x40 nulticolor graphics instead. Hopefully, it won't take me too long to do that program.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Single colour graphics should be easy; any image processing software that lets you crop and resize an image to 40x40 pixels and then output some format of your liking. Multi colour will be harder, as those are made up of two bit patterns. Probably there is something (ConGo? Albert's Vic-Pic?) out there, otherwise you'll have to write your own converter.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

i really like the title screen and the direction this game is going!
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

keep up the good work, this looks good :)
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Apologies for the lack of updates--I've been sent out of town to do some IT work for a major client.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

No worries. Apparently I still have unfinished VIC-20 projects that are both one, two and seven year old, stuff that I spend a few evenings per year on trying to finish. One week here or there won't make any difference unless you get sidetracked and forget about what you were doing.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ghislain wrote:Apologies for the lack of updates--I've been sent out of town to do some IT work for a major client.
C'mon, don't waste your time with such unimportant things like "having a job" and "earn money for a living"... :P