Vici Iterum MM ("VIMM") Vic-20 Demo on YouTube

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Vici Iterum MM ("VIMM") Vic-20 Demo on YouTube

Post by Boray »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKUSTAG0Gzg

I had to make two small cuts to keep it within the 10 minutes limit. I hope it doesn't show...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

thanks!
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Wonderful!
Last edited by formater on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

formater wrote:Awful!
What?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

In Spanish, it means: "wonderful". :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Today was the first time I've actually watched this and I always presumed that it was the same as VVV. It's actually quite a bit different and I really liked it. The musical arrangements were pretty interesting. Is there an MP3 of the soundtrack out there?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Today was the first time I've actually watched this and I always presumed that it was the same as VVV.
No. Albert had simultaneously to VVV (8K, 1996) developed some own routines but lacked music. It took four years before VIMM (16K, 2000) was released. VIMMII (unexp, 2002) however is quite similar, but not identical.
Is there an MP3 of the soundtrack out there?
Otherwise I suppose I could put one together, since I made the music in the first place. I'm not sure if I still have the separate music sources, otherwise recording the demo itself should be fine.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Boray wrote:
What?
My diccionary (again) betrayed me, sorry :oops: .

I meanig say WONDERFULL, IMPRESSIVE, EXCELLENT
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You could also say "terrible" which I got the feeling can be used in either way: terribly good, terribly bad. 8)
Anders Carlsson

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

formater wrote:
Boray wrote:
What?
My diccionary (again) betrayed me, sorry :oops: .

I meanig say WONDERFULL, IMPRESSIVE, EXCELLENT
Ah! I understand what happened here. You meant "Awesome".
But I can understand why you chose "awful". It literally means to "fill one full of awe" or "to be full of awe" - which is how the word used to be used. Literally, "awful" should have a very similar meaning as "wonderful". So it would appear to a non-native English speaker that "awful" would make sense as a word of praise.

Unfortunately, for those who don't speak English natively - the word "awful" has since shifted in meaning to mean something that is bad or done poorly.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

formater wrote:Wonderful!
Well done! :P

At least your English is infinitely better than my Spanish - and it just got even better! :)

Just to confuse you even more you could have said "It's awfully wonderful!"
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

ral-clan wrote: Ah! I understand what happened here. You meant "Awesome".
But I can understand why you chose "awful". It literally means to "fill one full of awe" or "to be full of awe" - which is how the word used to be used. Literally, "awful" should have a very similar meaning as "wonderful". So it would appear to a non-native English speaker that "awful" would make sense as a word of praise.

Unfortunately, for those who don't speak English natively - the word "awful" has since shifted in meaning to mean something that is bad or done poorly.
An interesting hypothesis, but apparently not correct: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=awful
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

Thanks Boray, it was nice to look those through. I didn't remember that the music in VIMMII was so stripped down (because of the memory) compared to VIMM where the extra 16k really made things easier in many ways. Like loading the next music/graphics/part while showing graphics.

Oh, and the VIMM parts are compressed with pucrunch, which reduces the loading times.
carlsson wrote:It took four years before VIMM (16K, 2000) was released. VIMMII (unexp, 2002)
This reminds me: I have had a 9-part sequel almost finished since 2004. There are both parts further developed from VIMMII and new ideas (well, new in 2004). Do you happen to have any new tunes, I could use a couple?:-)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

CurtisP wrote:
ral-clan wrote: Ah! I understand what happened here. You meant "Awesome".

An interesting hypothesis, but apparently not correct: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=awful
I'm not sure what that link is supposed to indicate. It seems to confirm what I said, as do these links:

http://www.trivia-library.com/b/origins ... -awful.htm
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/ ... -mess.html
http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2 ... l-awesome/

While the meaning of "awe" has shifted from utter fear, to a mixture of reverence, respect and wonder mixed with a tinge of fear, to the 20th c. use of awe as "sheer wonder", "awful" is is still a compound of "awe" (or the older spelling "aghe") and "full". I suspect the "gh" in "aghe" is related to the vestigial "gh" in "plough" - they both morphed into a "w" sound in modern English but we kept the "gh" spelling in the case of the latter word. That would be interesting to look into in further depth...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

a1bert wrote:I didn't remember that the music in VIMMII was so stripped down
Basically I think the player used in VIMM consumes a lot of raster time, in particular at change of blocks. Thus I rewrote it from scratch but left out some of the features like vibrato, arpeggio and glissando. For the last seven years I have been meaning to re-implement those and perhaps other features, but never got to it. I have made other small improvements to the player, but all the musics used e.g. on the Mega-Cart and my own releases pretty much use the same music player as in VIMMII.
Do you happen to have any new tunes, I could use a couple? :-)
Sure. Some of the old ones have now been used elsewhere but I could always make some new. I'm just considering whether I should add the features mentioned above, perhaps even look into if the Viznut waveforms can be used.
Anders Carlsson