New Release: Ten Ten

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Kweepa wrote:Wow, very polished!
I like the "parallel universe" and game over effects.
I keep reading the title screen as "TEN/TEN QUALITY" which is true but a little arrogant :)
Fun game as usual, thanks!
I believe it is meant to read "TEN/TEN DUALITY."
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ha ha. Yeah, it was meant to say "Duality." Should I take that out? I was thinking of words like "bilocation" and "duality" when making this game. The font I came up with is not easy to read.

I looked at the code, and it is very sloppy. I have plenty of additional room for improvements. I thought about adding a high score, removing the aforementioned annoying beeps, adding music to the title screen and a few other things. Should the difficulty level be adjusted?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Maybe a choice of difficulty should be an option and I always like a high score table. :)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I like the font. Your usage of custom fonts (amongst other things) makes your BASIC programs more polished than the average.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

gklinger wrote:I like the font. Your usage of custom fonts (amongst other things) makes your BASIC programs more polished than the average.
I agree. The fonts in your games are definitely a part of your signature style - even if, in this instance, it looks like it reads 'quality'!

Most games with custom fonts on the Vic take a bit of deciphering. :)
Sdw
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sdw »

Nice little puzzle game, very playable concept!
You have managed to work well with the limits set by BASIC and keep a responsive user experience.

-edit-

How do you make sure that each level is solvable? Are the levels hard-coded and tested to make sure?

I was thinking if it would be possible to auto-generate levels, but then you'd somehow need to verify that they are possible to solve...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I revisited the program today. Added a bunch of features and I still have room for more. Is speed an issue? Would it be better (easier to control) with a faster protagonist? I also considered a level counter. Is that desirable for a puzzle game rather than score? maybe a brief "Level 2" sign or just a number at the bottom?

I was going for a clean simple look with few colors and simple graphics. I worry the screen looks too crowded with a level indicator or high score (something I added and is only displayed at the end of a game).

I lowered the difficulty level. I'm not so sure about a difficulty select option. I'll post a PRG when I've made enough changes.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Sdw wrote:How do you make sure that each level is solvable? Are the levels hard-coded and tested to make sure?
It would be an interesting logical challenge to demonstrate that every possible randomly generated level is solvable... But I'm no math master :cry: .
I've played the games several times, and I can say that a good empirical method is to let one of the dots in a spot with two or three walls around, so that you're more free to move the other one.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am 100% sure every level is solvable. I experimented with several maze generating routines before finding the right one. I can explain it when I post the new PRG. I'll copy and paste the code to that part here.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Speed was fine for me, and the difficulty pitched about right. Then again, I like that sort of puzzle, and I guess not everyone is like me ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Looking forward to your new version :D
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I was up last night again, so I made a new version of Ten Ten. I made a bunch of changes. High score, more natural learning curve, and more. Let me know what you think.

Download: http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/games/TenTen.zip
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I often wonder about the point of revisiting game programs. There is always a way to add extra features or optimize game play.

There is something comforting about having this last version on the megacart. A sense of finality. I cannot change the most commonly distributed version now. It can be a good feeling.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, having some editions of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog didn't stop Sega from releasing Sonic II as well as a load of other games. That means while you might not call it Ten Ten Duality anymore, you can rewamp and improve the game yet more by changing its name. :)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:There is something comforting about having this last version on the megacart. A sense of finality. I cannot change the most commonly distributed version now. It can be a good feeling.
I like your Ten Ten game but as Anders said, you may always release a new version: Ten Ten, The revenge :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.