New Release: Ten Ten

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New Release: Ten Ten

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ten Ten Duality
A game for the Unexpanded Vic 20, Joystick required. All BASIC.

Sleep deprivation does strange things to you. I made this game earlier this week between 1am and 5am. I couldn't sleep. It made sense to me at the time and seemed very fun. The next day, I played it, and I couldn't understand what the heck I was thinking the previous night! I decided to just abandon it.

Tonight I am up late again, and the game makes sense to me again. So, at the moment, my judgment may be clouded. I present to you, Ten Ten. Whatever that means.

The Story:
In a world of bilocation, you must achieve synchronization. "Ten-ten" comes from the Japanese "dot dot" or Dakuten. Your objective to align a universe of dots.

Game Play:
Use the joystick to control both "Tens" on seperate playfields. Take advantage of assymetry to bring each simultaneously to its respective goal. Fail, and your doppelgänger will escape to autonomy.

Ok, I know none of that makes much sense, but play it anyway.

Download
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great Jupiter! This is PURE GENIUS!
Simple concept, VERY addictive, mind-boggling... It just could be another Tetris, Jeff... Don't underestimate your creativity! I'm serious: you have what it takes to be a game designer. :shock:
It's almost noon here in Europe, and still I find this game absolutely FUN.

Congratulations on this effort.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I agree with everything orion said. You are a very talented guy. It's a great wee game. Quite a brain twister 45 minutes after you fall out of bed!

So, that's month number 2 of the year and we already have 3 great, and very different, games. Not a bad start... :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Great game!!! Thanks!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Wow very nice game !!!

Is it inspired from another game or it's your original concept ?

The title screen has also a professional style considering that is a game for unexpanded Vics, i think that a next step may be an expanded version with an actrative jingle on Title screen and during play....
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I have to say that I was really impressed with the title screen as well. Very slick. For me, one of the best things about old games was the presentation. Now, it's all taken for granted but back in the day it was exciting to see the title screen!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hi!

That is a very good implementation of this type of game on the VIC-20.

I KNOW I've played almost this exactly type of game before somewhere. AHHH. I'll have to wrack my brain ---- where have I played this type of game before? What platform? It will come to me.

Even so...this genre (whatever you call it) is a welcome addition to the VIC-20 - and very well programmed.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Ah, it came to me. I have it on a pirate NES cartridge.

It's called "Binary Land" by Hudson:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Binary_Land
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_Land

Last edited by ral-clan on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember playing a game like this on the C64 last year. Can't be sure though...

That's not to take away from your genius, though, Jeff! :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Woo! Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I was worried that it was a bit of a rush job. I have plenty of room for changes and additions if you can recommend them.

I tried to make a song, but I am no good at that. Graphics and sound are 85% of the time it takes me to make a game. The gameplay part comes easy. I finished this game so quickly because I decided early to have very simple graphics and sounds. I had watched a segment of 2001 and played some Atari 2600 earlier in that day.

I've almost given up on original game ideas. I thought this game might be too similar to Maze Craze (2600). I just checked out Binaryland, and it's way too hard for me. The birds move opposite of one another? It felt very Pengo to me, but the opposing directions and bad guy chasers made it far too confusing. And you can shoot? If my game has too little going on, this one has a little too much for me. Maybe I got used to playing mine first. Or I'm jealous.

EDIT: the very first draft of this game in my head had the mazes stacked vertically instead of side by side. That may have been a more original idea. But I liked the left brain/ right brain feel of playing a piano or something. Boo-urns. I cloned a Famicom game. :( If it were not for the timer in the middle, I could have the vertical and horizontal alternating levels...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

The levels being laid out horizontal works really well for me. I think you're right with the right brain / left brain thing.

As far as changes go the only thing that bothers me is the beeping when your time's running low. A slightly less cutting sound would really help. :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Very clever, Jeff!

A perfect 10 out of 10 in my books!

Do you think you can write a version I can download to my cell phone? :wink:
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Great game, Jeff! I'm always puzzled what your are able to do in Basic with 3.5k.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If you make another version some day, you could call it "20/20", the term for perfect eyesight.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Wow, very polished!
I like the "parallel universe" and game over effects.
I keep reading the title screen as "TEN/TEN QUALITY" which is true but a little arrogant :)
Fun game as usual, thanks!