Hi All

Discuss anything related to the VIC
JoshuaHorn
Vic 20 Drifter

Hi All

Post by JoshuaHorn »

Hi All!

This is an introduction, I'm new here!

My name is Josh, I'm almost 23 and I live in Texas.

I just recently got a VIC-20 along with a C=64 for my birthday from my cousin. The VIC-20 works perfectly and I'm loving it. The C=64 is not working. - But that's all right, I have quite a few cartridges for my VIC and I'm a BASIC programmer. I preferre it anyway too! :D

Does anyone know if the 1541 diskette drive for the C=64 works with the VIC-20? - I have one, and it's my only drive.

Thanks!

Josh
Joshua Horn
--
"Just because YOU think it's old, does not me it's useless to ME!" -- Joshua Horn
JoshuaHorn
Vic 20 Drifter

BTW

Post by JoshuaHorn »

BTW,

Here is a picture of my setup:
Joshua Horn
--
"Just because YOU think it's old, does not me it's useless to ME!" -- Joshua Horn
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Hi Josh and welcome!

The 1541 works perfectly well with a VIC, there should be no problem.

Schlowski
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

hey Josh!

hope you have a great time here!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Hey bloke! I think I saw you on Lemon? :P

It's a shame about your 64 not working but maybe it's serendipity that you have the time to enjoy the better machine!

Anyway, welcome and have fun with your Vic and 1541. :)
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Welcome!

Wow, that's a heavily-yellowed C64 you have there... It should be the same color as the 1541.

Nice looking VIC-20, however. ;)
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Welcome to Denial. That 64 of yours is pretty badly yellowed. Once you get it fixed you should think about giving it an oxy-peroxide bath to make it look new again. Your VIC-20, on the other hand, looks great.

I know you from Lemon so I'm familiar with your BASIC programming plans so I thought I'd mention that while the 64 and VIC-20 share the same BASIC (v2.0), the VIC-20 has less memory to work with and the memory locations differ. For example, pokes to change screen colour are different. You might want to download a copy of the VIC-20 Programmer's Reference Guide. It's quite informative.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Hi All

Post by ral-clan »

JoshuaHorn wrote:know if the 1541 diskette drive for the C=64 works with the VIC-20? - I have one, and it's my only drive.

Thanks!

Josh
As others have answered, yes it does. However, I wouldn't keep your box of disks on top of it like that and in between the two monitors (both with speakers on their sides as well). That's a lot of magnetic fields you're surrounding the disks with. The magnetic field from the speakers, the CRT magnets, and the disk drive's power supply.

If you don't like read-write errors, you might want to store your disks elsewhere.

Not to mention, you're blocking the 1541's only way of cooling down.
Last edited by ral-clan on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Hi All

Post by wiskow »

ral-clan wrote:Not to mention, you're blocking the 1541's only way of cooling down.
Quite right... Always keep those vents free of blockage to keep your 1541 happy. :)
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Welcome, Joshua. Don't worry about the C64, the Vic is where it's at. :wink:
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Hi, Josh,

If you need any parts or a replacement for your C64, feel free to drop me a note. We have too many in stock!

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
CommVEx v5 info - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ohm »

Don't forget to make yourself a XM1541 cable so you can download and upload to your pc.
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

What, no tape drive!?

all you need is an old junker 486 laptop with an X cable and you can write tons of stuff!

8)

and yes, don't stick your disks inbetween the monitors. (I learned this the hardway once).