Role playing games?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Role playing games?

Post by Royas »

From everyones personal opinion, what are a few good VIC Role playing games..?

I decided to give some a whirl to compare to stuff on C64, Atari, and other systems.

Wizardry might be a fun starting point if that exists.

(Is there a games database for vic like I have seen for C64?)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Here's a wee page that has a whole bunch of info including game stuff towards the bottom:

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cvic.html

If you have a look around on this site you'll find a wealth of information about RPG's on the VIC.

At the moment there's a discussion going on about a game called 'Whack!' - one of my faves at the minute... :)
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

Cool!

I am really into the gritty , long drawn out RPGs like Ultima and Questron, so I hope I can find some to try on the VIC

It seems like I can only locate sword of fargoal and the elusive escape from mt. drash games.

Were there others?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

And of course there's Sorcery by Brendan Jones:
http://www.kdef.com/geek/vic/vicbjsw.html#rpg

(my avatar is a screenshot from this RPG)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

There's also Ghislains wonderful stuff. Here's a thread:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=3026

Actually, there are loads of RPG's on the VIC. You've obviously already found Escape From Mt Drash (Ultima prequel), Sword of Fargoal but there are a whole raft of others I can't think of just now. I'll get my thinking cap on! :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

"Temple of Apshai" is on Zimmers. It's actually a classic that was available on most computer platforms in the early 80s (it was one of the first) so you should play it just to get some historical context into this genre. If you're into text adventures you should also play "Adventure" or "Colossal Cave" which is basically the first ever text adventure (and it's not too bad, either).

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... _of_Apshai

I think the game plays better when you have the manual with the rooms descriptions (which you can find online). When I get my copy in the mail, I'll make a .pdf for the Denial Wiki.

Unforunately, they chose a bad colour scheme for the VIC version. I wish there was some way to modify it so at least the background was black.
Last edited by ral-clan on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

Oh, I know ALLLLL about the Apshai games. :-D That and rogue were frequent loads on my IBM. Along with a few other similar games.

Ill check out the VIC one. usually really abrasive color schemes look good to me... so we will see.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

No quite related, but there is a game called "DUNGEON" on the PET, which you can play in VICE. It's a rogue like game....I've always wanted to try and port that to the VIC-20 (it would be a challenge for me because my programming skills are novice level).
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

a roguelike for the Pet you say?

i will be giving that a go for sure. Those mindless dungeon crawlers are addicting!

I dont know much about PET hardware, so I cant say how difficult it would be to port it to the VIC....

but if it is going from primitive to superior hardware and has similar CPU it might be easier than youd think!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Royas wrote:a roguelike for the Pet you say?

i will be giving that a go for sure. Those mindless dungeon crawlers are addicting!

I dont know much about PET hardware, so I cant say how difficult it would be to port it to the VIC....

but if it is going from primitive to superior hardware and has similar CPU it might be easier than youd think!
It really shouldn't be too hard. You'd have to adapt the size of the dungeon to 22X25 instead of the PETs 40X25 screen, and change the screen POKE's to match the VIC instead of the PETs screen memory, and I think that would be it. You can actually LOAD the game on the VIC, it just never starts because it's poking a bunch of stuff to areas that don't match up on the VIC.
Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

oh well hey! that could be a neat project then.

I might fiddle around with it, but i cant promise anything.