Sell - Vic 20 blue book, intro to Basic VIC Learning Series

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Vic Joe
Vic 20 Newbie

Sell - Vic 20 blue book, intro to Basic VIC Learning Series

Post by Vic Joe »

Please let me know if you are interested in buying either one of the following books from the glory days of the Vic 20:

The VIC-20 Interfacing Blue Book by V.J. Georgiou (c 1983) - This book provides electrical schematics and project information for interfacing your Vic 20 in a variety of ways. Some interfacing projects listed in the book: a pickproof digital lock, simple thermometer, light sensor, liquid level sensor. This book is in pristine condition (Mom bought this for me when I was in junior high so it was a little beyond my skill and was stored in the closet for years!).

An Introduction to Basic: Part 1 - The VIC Learning Series by Andrew Colin (c 1981). Now this was the one that really got me into programming. Owning a VIC 20 gave me the inspiration to study Computer Science in college! This book contains 15 Units and is a great reference for a retro programmer who wants to try their hand at coding in BASIC on the VIC 20. The book is a little worn (one corner is a little beat up from use).

I can send pictures of the books if you are interested in their condition. Please email me any offers to buy - josephfjones@yahoo.com
Vic Joe
Vic 20 Newbie

Items now on eBay!

Post by Vic Joe »

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Friend, we are living in the glory days of the Vic 20, thanks to MegaCart. :D
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Judging by the required starting bid, I'd say we're living in the fantasy days. :roll:
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Surely, you mean 7 dollars and 50 cents. I would bid that much. I would like to get into that very activity right now. 8)
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

gklinger wrote:Judging by the required starting bid, I'd say we're living in the fantasy days. :roll:
Agreed!

I collect old technical books.
It is not common to get above orginal face value for an older book, unless it is rare and in very good (or better condition).

This is not the case for this booklet.

I can't fault someone for trying to make a couple of bucks on old stuff kicking around the house, but starting price is not realistic.

Too bad this was not a "make best offer" auction :P
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

its my fault , i told the guy there is one existing copy on amazon for 110 dollars and its in crappy condition and the guy is trying to use its rarity to sucker people into buyin it an he should be dragged out into the street to be shot. im just not that big a fanatic to dish out 100 bucks, maybe with some digging around i could find a copy at a library, take it out for good... well last vic book i got from ebay , still had the code on the side, and they didnt take out the take out card... Id like to know who Melanie Gordon is, april 28, 1987 :D :D , sound like my kinda woman, or by now 22 years is past, maybe not so my kinda woman lol, happy bidding!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I agree this guy is expecting way too much for this book. When I saw the price, after my eyes bugged out, I thought "okay, this guy has seen one of those outrageous prices on Amazon and thinks his copy is actually worth that much".

It's common on Amazon for run-of-the-mill VIC-20 books to sometimes show up at nutso prices for no apparent reason....I remember seeing prices like $200US and more for books that I could easily find on the web for $10-15 with not much effort.

Besides...this interfacing book is just not that rare. It shows up on Ebay about twice a year for much less.

Just look at the gamut of prices used book sellers want for the fairly common VIC-20 reference guide (19 cents to $50):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

or, if you really want to be suckered, you could pay $95 for the "Friendly Computer Guide" - the user's manual that came with every VIC-20 and that I'm sure every collector has three or four copies of... :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 21&sr=8-16

The Amazon "other sellers" list is NOT the place to look if you want to guage the value of something you own.
Last edited by ral-clan on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I love amazon for some of their insane prices from 'other sellers'

they make my doctor who VHS collection look like i could use them for a down payment on a house :)
Vic Joe
Vic 20 Newbie

mea culpa, already

Post by Vic Joe »

Group,

First off, I apologize for the reaction that I've solicited here. I have NO IDEA how much this book is truly worth... the only place that I have even seen this book publicly is on Amazon for $100. Based on that single data point, I put it out there for a lower price. I'm not some greedy person like those of you who jumped to that conclusion seemed to think.

Legacy (I assume you're the Jeff that emailed me), I'm not one to get into a flame war but, quite frankly, who's the real jackass here: me who based a book price on what data I had or you with your comment that "he should be dragged out into the street to be shot."? Calm down, man... it's just a book. Is this some teenage chat room or a Vic forum?

Despite all of this, I still have a soft spot for the Vic and can't just throw this book away... and it is in near mint condition despite being a paperback, you can look at the pictures and see that for yourself.

Email me a fair price if you want the book... including you, Jeff. I don't hold grudges. If you want it, fine. Otherwise, no worries.

Sorry for causing all this grief, wasn't my intention at all.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

No problem. After all - it IS eBay we're talking about here. Although I think $75 is high, all it takes is ONE person in this world of 6 billion who REALLY wants that book and you've got your asking price. Stranger things have happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Joe, some of the people here can be pretty hash. It doesn't take long to figure out who they are, or the people who write things to get other people going. Fortunately, there are those of us here who are not like that; I sincerely hope you don't judge Denial based on the behaviour of a vocal few. We're generally a pretty good lot.

An item like yours is worth whatever the seller is willing to sell it for, and whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Nothing more, nothing less.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

And DQ is one of those people....
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

Joe- yea it was me, and I wasn't saying you should be dragged, I was saying the other guy on amazon should, so what do you go an do, give us a $35 dollar discount, what a great guy! Too bad you'll never get $75 from me, I've already been scammed $40 for a Vic on ebay sofar. I'm just here to program and gain knowledge as I'm sure everyone else is. And with the program VICE, I may not even need a real vic for years to come or until I can unbury it in dads garage! Maybe I'll find my own copy of the blue book, who knows?I own 5 books now, with a grand total of $2.50 , call me cheap, I call it being thrifty...
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I'm not some greedy person like those of you who jumped to that conclusion seemed to think.
No, I didn't think that. You have every right to ask whatever you want for it and if someone really did want to pay so much for it, then you should take it. I merely meant I was not interested at that price. Nothing else.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany