weird startup

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

rottie007
Vic 20 Newbie

weird startup

Post by rottie007 »

just fired my "new" vic for the first time and all I get is the expected colors with NO text of any description...

checked the seating of the chips but to no avail...
out of curiosity I lobbed in Mole attack cartridge which although off cente on the screen ran perfectly including the key presses on the machine...

any ideas gratefully recieved as I would really liek to relive this part of my youth and play on my vic again !
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I think this means that either the ROM or BASIC kernal chip is toast (or both). The good news is that these are far more easy to replace than the VIC chip.

I think several people online here have spares, and if not can burn copies for you.
Last edited by ral-clan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

It sounds like it's crashing before it gets to the BASIC startup message. I'd suspect the BASIC ROM, UD5 on an older VIC, UE11 on a Cr VIC. If it is socketed remove it, make sure the legs are clean and replace it.

In fact I'd do that with all the socketed chips just to be sure, not just check that they are seated peoperly.

Lee.
rottie007
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by rottie007 »

ok guys !!

firstly thanks for the super quick response...
I am up to spec on modern PC's but as to chip burning etc !! thats beyond the scope of my abilities im afraid..

the VC20 has the later type c64 style power supply and what I think is the later board (square piece in middle housing video stuff)

so umm... I really am "stupid" on the early stuff...

ill go have a read based on what you have said and see if it makes any more sense..

anyone got spares of these chips in the UK ???

have paypal etc..
channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

If they don't, I have them outside of the UK - I'm in Dallas, TX.

It sounds to me like the BASIC ROM is toast.
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com
rottie007
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by rottie007 »

thanks channelmaniac... nice to know I have options.. I only paid a few quid for the vic on ebay but its the same as my first one (a vc rather than a vic) and I know it owuld be easy to just put it aside and find another but my car is 42 years old... my camper is 30 years old... (wont sya how old the wife is) so im a firm believer in things being happiest when they are doing what they were designed for !!