How do you open Vic20 cartridge ?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

How do you open Vic20 cartridge ?

Post by Mikam73 »

How do you open Vic20 cartridge ??

I had Fourth Encounter cartridge (Thorn Emi) and it was impossible open.. I got it open finally.. But covers dont look so nice anymore.. Board did go inside cartridge when I tryed it on Vic20 that was reason for opening. GAme works, but it hurts fingers remove it from Vic.

Another cart is Demon Attack... I have no idea how open it.. Game wont start it just goes to basic screen.. I have tryed cleaning and installing it to Vic20 again and again.. No help..

Thanks 8)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Isn't the casing different depending on manufacturer? Those I own have a screw on the bottom side, and then you carefully break it open, but I know that a "virgin" cartridge casing will not open easily. If you get yourself an expansion unit to load cartridges vertically, it may be easier to remove them too.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

On cartridges with screw, the screw helps hold circuit board in place within cartridge. The screw may be under a label.

Some of the cartridges also have 2 tabs that need to be depressed to pull top & bottom halves apart, even after screw is removed.

I replaced screw with small bolt & nut to hold circuit board, and left top off for easy access and replacement of Eprom. Grabbing hold on bottom of cartidge case is much nicer on fingers than getting stuck with pins on bottom side of circuit board. :lol:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Some have superglued tabs, so you're not going to get them open without breaking them.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Mayhem wrote:Some have superglued tabs, so you're not going to get them open without breaking them.

That's when its time for the Dremel tool :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Mayhem wrote:Some have superglued tabs, so you're not going to get them open without breaking them.
Those I am talking about.. 8)

If there was screw there were no problem.. :D