"Streamlining" my collection

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

zhx
Vic 20 Drifter

"Streamlining" my collection

Post by zhx »

Hey all, haven't been around for a while -- got a quick question.

I've recently moved into a smaller apartment and I just have entirely too much clutter (I've already sold about 150 of my NES carts). I have a box of VIC-20 stuff and would like to clear out some carts.

So here's the problem: I've done some searching around the forums and I'm a little confused about the difference between multi-carts. Apparently there's the Ultimate Expander (which hasn't been mentioned in a while), the Behr-Bonz cart and the Mega-Cart (which isn't available yet?).

Basically, I would like a cart with as many games on it as possible and/or a memory expansion cart. Two carts is much more manageable than the thirty or so I have now. Would it just be best to get a cart and an interface that would let me write to it or one of the carts with a pre-installed selection of titles? Should I wait for this Mega-Cart?

Your insight would be appreciated.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Naturally, I have a bias :oops:

The MegaCart is really the "ultimate" cart, featuring over 270 games & utilities, just about every memory configuration you can think of, a full featured menu (with loads of easter eggs), selection of one of 8 custom music pieces for menu music, the ability to set cart to autostart as your favourite game, games written by fellow Denial members, hi-score save mode in a couple of games, the ability to autodetec & support both PAL and NTSC machines on single cart, a small form factor (size of standard Vic-20 cart), Arcade mode, ability to add your favourite games to early menu, ability to flag your favourtie game for short menus, ability to sort games by game type (platform, shoot 'em, etc), ability to sort games by vendor, ability to sort games by player interface (paddles, joystick), etc, etc, etc.

This has been over a year in development, testing and refinement in NTSC and PAL environments with multiple Vic-20s and devices.

Final prototype PCBs are on way via courier to me tonight and I plan to assemble them on weekend. This is oudated web page with previous full size prototype and old info on cart capabilities (there are many more now) - http://www.6502dude.com

All parts and suppliers have been selected for production run, pending successful testing of prototypes.

I am interested in common buying Vic-20 carts for their cases. Send me PM if you have some to get rid of.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
zhx
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by zhx »

I'm thoroughly impressed. Sounds like this is the cart to own, and exactly what I'm looking for.

Two more questions:
- How much are you selling these for and
- Is there enough interest in the original cartridges to sell them off here? Even if I sold them for a dollar a piece, $30 toward a Megacart sounds like a good start.