Fharanx - The Missing Link of Japanese RPG's

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Athlor
Vic 20 Drifter

Fharanx - The Missing Link of Japanese RPG's

Post by Athlor »

Most Japanese RPG developers have admitted the Ultima series as a major influence. Yet their first RPGs, like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, already seemed significantly different. Well I discovered one called Fharanx who influence is so obvious it's amazing. It's a much more serious theme, no anima/manga. In a way, a Holy Grail of Japanese RPG's.
http://www.generation-msx.nl/msxdb/softwareinfo/618
It was for the MSX system, developed by Enix and, get this, written in Basic. About 1/3 of the text is in English but the story parts are definately Japanese. There is a guy working on a translation right now. The ascii Basic code is only about 27k with an additional 15k data file for maps etc.
This would make for an interesting port for the Vic wouldn't it? A real Enix RPG for the Vic-20. :shock:
JJ Abrams Star Trek: Boldly going where we've already been...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

So.... What is RPG?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

RPG = Role Playing Game
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

OIST = Oh, I see... Thanks
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Or...
jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

pretty cool! i guess the point is though that Enix greatly improved on this design the next year with Dragon Quest, then Square took it even further with Final Fantasy. the fact that they were different from the Ultima series (and clones) says a lot.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Is the source code available somewhere? I wasn't able to find it with, admittedly, a cursory search.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.